Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Daimler Conquest 1957
Posted by: 88v8
Date: February 03, 2016 01:55PM

Going to look at one this weekend. Has no engine. Thinking of it for a Rover V8/auto swap.
[en.wikipedia.org]

It has a lovely woody-leathery interior, and unlike my Rolls, it would fit in the garage.

Anyone come across one of these with a motor transplant?

Ivor

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Daimler Conquest 1957
Posted by: rficalora
Date: February 15, 2016 07:15AM

Cool looking car. Did you get it?

Oldbloke
Jim Legg
Napa, California
(94 posts)

01/24/2013 03:24PM

Main British Car:
1970 Rover P6 3500S Rover 3.5L V8

Posted by: Oldbloke
Date: February 15, 2016 12:23PM

That IS a cool looking car, but for a more enjoyable motoring experience, suggest that Rover V8 be found in a nice Rover P6 of which more seem able to be found on your side of the pond....yes I'm a bit envious, not only of your finding a Daimler, but that old Brit saloons are much easier to find over there. Luck to you and keep us posted...perhaps with some pics?

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: February 18, 2016 04:49AM

The interior was good. The leather was excellent, door cards not warped, the woodwork was OK, the headliner was perfect, even the sun visors which seem to be made of cardboard and are cloth covered, were untattered and clean.

But... the grille was dented, all the chrome was poor, the bodywork had holes everywhere there could be holes, it had storage rash all over, the rubber seals were toast, the body mounts had never been welded but looked pretty thin. It needed a body-off, and I could see £8k+ going into it just to get to the starting point. And because there are few of these cars on the road there are many unobtainable parts, especially rubbers.
So, I let it go.

Apparently it sold to a number plate dealer. Well, at least it wasn't broken, and may reappear at a better price so someone will be motivated to save it.

It's a shame there aren't a lot of these cars remaining; 9,000 were made but like so many cars of the 50s they were rusting ten years from new. I don't remember when I last saw one on the road, even at Classic car meets. However, there are a few still around and hopefully I'll pick up a better one. It has the merit of a separate chassis and easily detachable front, the wings unbolt, and unlike the Silver Shadow we're currently running it would fit in our garage.

Another option is the Aunty Rover
[en.wikipedia.org]
where the early models had alloy doors, bonnet and boot, and parts supply is a bit better. They are almost identically the same size, and have that woody-leathery thing going on, although the dash is a bit tacky.

As regards buying a non-running example of a model I've never driven, my wife pointed out that before I sink a lot of time and money into a car, it might be sensible to check that I actually enjoy driving it. Fair point :}

Ivor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.