Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

carbonman
Gregg David

(2 posts)

04/09/2014 02:54PM

Main British Car:

Triumph ???????
Posted by: carbonman
Date: April 09, 2014 03:05PM

Help What is it who built it are there any others
steel body
Daimler 2.5 v8
serial tag says BBG Custom
I just purchased this car it has been sitting sense 1992 so 22 years, I already have it running and it sounds real good, I need to buy motor parts ignition etc. brake master cyl, clutch slave cylinder etc. any info would be great
IMG_4153.JPG
IMG_4154.JPG
IMG_4156.JPG
IMG_4152.JPG

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Triumph ???????
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 09, 2014 03:13PM

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 09, 2014 06:03PM

Steel body? The whole thing? Could it be a Triumph TR3 with radical modifications? Here's a TR3 V8 conversion for comparison: [www.britishv8.org]

If not a modified Triumph, I expect the body is a one-off design. Your car's styling is "very unique". Daimler SP250s and TVRs of that era had fiberglass bodies. In fact, many companies offered fiberglass aftermarket bodies (e.g. Devin). One-off steel bodies weren't common. I think there was an American company called Panther... but I thought they used Devin fiberglass bodies. I've never seen a Panther in person. Devin bodies are really nice. Here's an example: [www.britishracecar.com]

The little Daimler hemi engine is easy to identify... If you can post photos of the frame, we can probably identify whether that's borrowed from a Daimler SP250 too. This article includes some SP250 suspension photos: [www.britishracecar.com] - Do they match your car's suspension?

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

Posted by: tbo
Date: April 10, 2014 09:04PM

Looks like a TR3 to me with front and back fiberglass additions. The rear end and the cowl and hood are Triumph almost for sure.How they got that hemi in there would be a good story to hear.Looks lke a TR top also.

carbonman
Gregg David

(2 posts)

04/09/2014 02:54PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: carbonman
Date: April 11, 2014 08:02AM

I have found more information on the car

the Car is all steel, rear body panel, front end, doors, hood, trunk, checked all with a Magnet
I believe the body is a real TR3 Modified
the rear body panel looks like a TVR 400
the car is sitting on a Daimler SP250 Frame and the Daimler SP250 v8 Engine
I am now looking for Information on who built the car
if anyone knows any history please let us know
the car came out of New York

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 08:08AM by carbonman.

JSabah
Josh Sabah
Los Angeles, Ca
(2 posts)

04/21/2013 04:00AM

Main British Car:
'75 Jensen Interceptor conv, '76 jensen Int Coupe' Chysler 440, chrysler 440, ford 260

Posted by: JSabah
Date: April 25, 2014 10:03PM

Panther Motors is (was) a custom car manufacture in England. They produces very unusual cars most of which looked like Excalibers, Morgans, etc (but a bit more outrageous) and even produced a 6 wheeled convertible. In addition to cars, they also made portions of car for other manufacturers, which is how I came to know of them. I have one of 46 Jensen Interceptor Coupe' models which in essence were Jensen Interceptor convertibles with a Panther made glass hooped hardtop fixed to the car. It is possible that they also did some work on an SP250 however as production stopped in approx 1965 (and Panther started in 1972) I think if it is a Panther Project, it would have been a "1 off" as Daimler was sold to Jaguar in the mid 60's (they stopped the SP250 production as it was similar to the E Type that was coming on line....and the SP250's had some structural problems.... ButJaguar corrected those). If the body is steel and taken from a TR3, then I doubt it is on a Daimler frame as while the SP250 frame design was borrowed from the TR3, it is different in size. If you would like the dimensions of the SP250 frame, PM me with an e mail address as I have those. I think it is more likely that, because the engine is the Turner designed Hemi found in the Daimler SP250's and the frame looks like a TR3, it is most likely a Panther manufactured body on a Daimler SP250 chassis. This could be a very interesting car. I would e mail the Panther Club with some pics and info and see what they have to say. There may be a hidden numbering/identification system that Panther used that they would know about. Nice find. [www.panthercarclub.com].

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: July 30, 2014 01:37AM

Radically altered TR3
Cortina tail lights.
I would guess done in England.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.