Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Graham B
Graham Bingham
Draycott, Derbyshire, UK
(63 posts)

09/19/2008 08:26AM

Main British Car:
1974 Triumph Spitfire Rover 3.5litre V8

New project - advice required
Posted by: Graham B
Date: October 03, 2015 03:34PM

I have recently bought a new project, the car is a 1974 Morris Marina Coupe. The previous owner had the running gear and body/chassis beefed up as follows:
Front
Ford Capri 2.8 hubs and vented discs.
BMW dampened steering rack - relocated to under engine for better engine bay clearance
Custom adjustable A-Arms, rose-jointed, Bespoke adjustable coilover front struts built by GAZ in the UK onto Capri hubs
New strengthened chassis rails and chassis/bulkhead bars
Rear
Ford Atlas axle casing, narrowed to fit 7" wheels/tyres, Limited Slip Diff (LSD), Bespoke strengthened half shafts
5-bar links:
- 4 forward bars in cold drawn seamless steel tubing
- stainless steel / kevlar 1/2 inch rose joints. Full adjustable.
- Panhard rod to rear chassis rail
GAZ adjustable coilover shocks
Boot floor raised and strengthened to enable a low stance

The car looks very impressive, the previous owner Rob was going to put a 350ci LT1 motor in it from a C4 Corvette, he had the motor on a stand next to the car, initially I thought he had sold it already, but he hadn't so after a little negotiation I decided to follow his dream and bought the engine off him too.

Question is - I need a transmission for this engine. Rob had thought of fitting a TH350 but hadn't yet bought one. Bearing in mind my location in Blighty what are my options?
M 1.JPG
M 14.jpg
M 15.jpg
M 41.jpg

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

02/28/2009 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB Roadster 350 LT1 Chevy

authors avatar
Re: New project - advice required
Posted by: Jim Stabe
Date: October 03, 2015 04:36PM

You are going to have a lot of weight hanging way out in front of the front wheels unless you plan on some significant firewall surgery.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: October 04, 2015 05:00AM

Hello and welcome.

Have to echo Jim's thought. With that heavy engine it would corner like an ocean liner. If you go the V8 route, tbh I'd sell the LT and buy a Rover V8, much lighter. A 3.9 or even the 3.5 will make that car go and sound like a dream, and it will go round corners.

As to trans, what diff ratio and tyres does it have?

There was some discussion here on boxes to fit the Rover V8
[forum.britishv8.org]

Ivor

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 04, 2015 12:33PM

Quote:
Question is - I need a transmission for this engine. Rob had thought of fitting a TH350 but hadn't yet bought one. Bearing in mind my location in Blighty what are my options?

T56 (six speed manual) was installed behind a lot of LT1 engines. Camaros and Firebirds. Some close-ratio options... (Google "T56" plus "M28" or "M29").

Graham B
Graham Bingham
Draycott, Derbyshire, UK
(63 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 04, 2015 02:11PM

Hi Jim,
There will be firewall surgery I'm sure.
I already have a Rover V8 in my Spitfire and Rover V8's have been put into Marina's before, so I'd like to try and do something different.

I take your point with regards to engine weight distribution though.

Graham

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 04, 2015 02:41PM

I have an LT1 and 6 speed in my MGB but the whole engine is behind the front axle centerline so the distribution is close to 50/50

Graham B
Graham Bingham
Draycott, Derbyshire, UK
(63 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 05, 2015 11:15AM

Jim,
Do you have a link to photo's of your build, I'm interested to see the positioning of the engine and box, and how you handled the position of the gearlever,

I know I have seen pictures of your car on here before, but now they are more of interest as I have the same engine to play with.
The Marina Coupe and MGB GT are very similar sized cars, but the firewall is quite different.
Initially the steering rack would have been the issue with the Marina as they are usually sited in front of the firewall, but the previous owner of this project had an alternative steering rack sited further forwards so that if necessary the firewall could be altered to allow the engine to go further back.
I'm considering a TH350 trans because the issue of shifter position may be less of an issue?

Graham

Jim Stabe
Jim Stabe
San Diego, Ca
(829 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 06, 2015 10:18AM

Go to the project journals on this site. There are five parts showing the build from the start.

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Posted by: BMC
Date: January 12, 2016 11:22PM

Graham.

Sounds pretty neat! I learned to drive in an Austin Marina GT 1800 when I was 11 years old. Not a popular but a good car.

I highly recommend staying away from the large boat anchor all iron V8 and either go with an LSx series or more common on your side, the Rover V8 as others have mentioned.

My Dad removed the Spitfire gearbox that British Leyland, in their infinite wisdom placed behind the Austin B series 1800 and replaced that with an MGB overdrive gearbox. He said that made it into a good car. That 68-80 MGB gearbox required cutting the floor and reworking it to fit that. To fit a T5 would probably require just slightly less but a T56 substantially more. The T5 should be used on engines with no more than about 300 BHP unless it is handled with care or rebuilt regularly.

Great project! Hope to see more on this.

-BMC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.