Other Cars (British & British-Inspired)

a place to discuss all our other favorite cars, especially the modified and/or V8 ones

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Simon Austin
Simon Austin
Surrey, British Columbia
(107 posts)

10/23/2007 01:44AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB V8 / 1970 MGB GT V8 project Rover 3.5 / Rover 3.5

Ford Cortina MkII Advice Needed
Posted by: Simon Austin
Date: December 13, 2008 05:07PM

I've still got that Rover 3.5 that came with an SD1 attached and looking for potential bodyshells for the next conversion. I finally got around to pulling the motor and gearbox out of the car. Realized there's no market for restored 1980 SD1's.

Since I've already done the MGB conversion, I'd like something completely different. I'm going to look at a Mark II Ford Cortina in a couple of days. Bodyshell only; has had some body work done but will need some fender work and such. From the pictures the owner has sent, shock towers look like they've had work done but will know more shortly.

My request is for any advice regarding these Cortina's. Avoid at all costs; particular areas for rust; availability of restoration parts; any V8 conversions I can look at, etc, etc....

I certainly welcome advice from all corners of the planet but figured the English guys may know more about the Cortina due to the limited number in North America.

The Mark II holds a special place as my parents had a brand-new '68 Cortina GT when I was a wee lad........okay, sentimental moment over.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Simon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 12:50PM by Moderator.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Ford Cortina MkII Advice Needed
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 22, 2008 12:52PM

Hey Simon! I took the liberty of changing your "subject" line to see if that would help you get more responses... I'm very curious about Cortinas too. Been wondering when someone would post a Cortina How-It-Was-Done. Good luck!

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 22, 2008 03:09PM

Simon, there's a guy that posts regularly on the MG Experience board that has a Cortina with a 302 Ford installed. Check out the posts from Benny (Ben Eyes) on that board. If you contact him you probably can get the information you are needing. [www.mgexperience.net]

Simon Austin
Simon Austin
Surrey, British Columbia
(107 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 22, 2008 07:38PM

Appreciate it Curtis. I saw a few "views" but no action.

Bill, funny you should mention Ben. I did PM him on the MG Experience site and he posted a quick reply. Said he'd provide more info later.

Looks like the project has a green light as the current owner accepted my offer and I'll take delivery shortly. I suspect this one will be a bit more challenging due to parts availability.

Here's a pic of the old girl in all her glory:
red_cortina_003.jpg

Dave
David Gable
Jax
(112 posts)

10/23/2007 05:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Dave
Date: December 25, 2008 12:03PM

Find a copy of the February, 2008 Grassroots Motorsports. There's an article about a MkII Cortina with a Miata engine swap. The owner/builder is Brett Stierli. You may be able to contact him by joining this Cortina board.

[lists.topica.com]

Dave

Simon Austin
Simon Austin
Surrey, British Columbia
(107 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 27, 2008 02:38AM

Thx Dave. I'll look into it. That list is a bit out of date but will do some searching.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.