Project Journals

create a diary for your project and show us your progress, with up to 100 photos!

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

jax050
murray avis
sydney, australia
(3 posts)

05/23/2009 01:45AM

Main British Car:
triumph stag 1976 ford 302 v8

STAGGER ME
Posted by: jax050
Date: December 08, 2009 04:06PM

1976 TRIUMPH STAG
OWNER MURRAY AVIS
LIVES SUTHERLAND SHIRE, SYDNEY AUSTRALIA

FORD SMALL BLOCK 347CI. DART PRO 1 ALLOY HEADS
CRANE ROLER ROCKERS
10:1 COMPRESSION
CROW CAM
11" YELLA TERRA RACING FLYWHEEL
PRECISION BALANCER
MOTOR BALANCED
RUNNING EXTERNAL MOROSO OIL PUMP WITH WET SUMP, THIS WILL ALLOW THE MOTOR TO SIT FURTHER BACK THEN ORIGINAL STAG MOTOR. UNFORTUNATELY THIS LANDS THE ORIGINAL FORD OIL PUMP ON TOP OF THE STEERING RACK.
ALLOY FORD F-150 BELLHOUSING WELDED & RE-DRILLED FOR T-5 TRANS
BRAKES MODIFIED FRONT & REAR DIFFERENT MASTER CYLINDER & BOOSTER(WILL SHOW WITH PHOTOS SOON)

stag lowered march 09 001.jpg PURCHASED ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO FOR $3,200.00 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS.
CAR WAS UNREGISTERED, FIXED THE BRAKES & A FEW OTHER PARTS TO GET IT RUNNING & HAVE USED IT FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS.
TAKEN OFF THE ROAD AUGUST 2009 FOR ENGINE SWAP, REPLACING WITH FORD SMALL BLOCK & WARNER T-5 TRANSMISSION.
stag motor comming out part 1 002.jpg STAG MOTOR
THIS IS THE ORIGINAL 3.0 LTR. STAG MOTOR ABOUT TO BE PULLED OUT.
block in stag 004.jpg DUMMY WINDSOR
THIS IS THE DUMMY WINDSOR BLOCK, HAVE ALREADY STARTED THE TUNNEL MODS IN THIS PHOTO TO SIT THE ENGINE FAR ENOUGH BACK. THIS IS ABOUT THE TIME I REALISED I HAD FACTORY OIL PUMP PROBLEMS. I HAVE SEEN THIS OVER COME BEFORE BUT THE MOTOR IS MOUNTED A FEW INCHES FURTHER FORWARD SO THE FORD OIL PUMP HANGS DOWN IN FRONT OF THE STEERING RACK. THIS WAS AN OPTION BUT I PREFERED TO SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY ON AN MOROSO EXTERNAL OIL PUMP, WHICH WILL LET ME DROP THE MOTOR TO THE REQUIRED HEIGHT, WHICH IS NOW GOVERNED BY THE CENTRE LINE OF THE MOTOR / GEARBOX / DIFFERENTIAL LINE.
stag now cut up 001.jpg FIRE WALL TUNNEL
THIS IS THE FIRE WALL TUNNEL AREA BEFORE ANY MODS WERE STARTED. FEELS A LITTLE SAVAGE TO RIP INTO A PERFECTLY GOOD PANEL.
stag motor now out 001.jpg FIRE WALL UN-TOUCHED
THIS IS THE FIRE WALL BEFORE IT WAS TOUCHED STILL WITH THE HEAT / SOUND PROOF BARRIER ATTATCHED, ALSO THE MODIFIED BRAKE LINES & BOOSTER / MASTER CYLINDER SHOWING
stag now cut up 002.jpg TUNNEL CUTTING
THIS IS THE FIRST ATTACK ON THE TUNNEL AREA THAT ENED UP HAVING APROX. A 3" RADIUS TAKEN OUT OF IT WHERE IT MEETS THE FIRE WALL & A TOTAL RE-FAB IN SIDE THE CABIN ON THE TUNNEL, THIS HAD TO BE DONE TO FIT THE FORD F-150(ALLOY) BELL HOUSING.
stag firewall & tunnel mods 003.jpg LINING UP GEARBOX
THIS IS THE END POSITION WHERE THE T-5 MEETS THE WINDSOR BLOCK. THE BELL HOUSING SITS REARWARD OF THE FIRE WALL BY 5MM OR SO . HERE YOU CAN SEE THE START OF THE PANEL BEATING DONE TO THE LH SIDE OF THE FIRE WALL FOR THE CYLINDER HEAD & ROCKER COVER CLEARANCE. COULD HAVE BEEN A LITTLE LESS IN HEIGHT WITH FACTORY ROCKER COVERS, BUT HAD TO HAVE THE ROLLER ROCKERS & HIGHER THEN NORMAL BRODIX ROCKER COVERS. THE LEFT HAND BANK ON THE SMALL BLOCK FORD SITS ABOUT AN INCH FURTHER BACK THEN THE RIGHT HAND SIDE.
stag firewall & tunnel mods 002.jpg FIRE WALL BEATING
JUST A FRONT ON SHOT FOR SIZE OF PANEL BEATED AREA FOR CYLINDER HEAD CLEARANCE, NOT REALLY ALLOWED TO DO TOO MUCH MODS IN THIS AREA FOR NEW SOUTH WALES REGO. PLAN TO HAVE IT ALL LOOKING LIKE NEW BY REGO TIME(THE ENGINE BAY THAT IS) SHOULD BE ABLE TO SQUEEZE SOME DYNAMAT IN THERE SO NOBODY WILL NO ANY BETTER.?
stag now cut up 004.jpg first tunnel cut in cabin
this was the start of cutting out the tunnel inside the cabin, but a lot more is to be taken out
stag now cut up 003.jpg tunnel mod for t-5 lever
tunnel is opened for major modifications as the gear lever on the t-5 has to exit further back then the original stag position. the t-5 gear lever ended up at the worst spot, right where there is a reinforcement rib running under the floor pan from one side of the car to the other. so had to make up this boxed in square tube arrangement to keep the strength & still allow easy install & access to the gear change lever area. it has ended up stiffer then original.
block in stag 009.jpg cut sub frame
this shot shows the first cut of the tunnel where the sub-frame stiffener has been removed to allow t-5 lever out.
stag firewall & tunnel mods 005.jpg first attempt to strengthen
this was the first try, extended the box c channel up each side tack welded in place then bridged across the front. while doing this decided on a better way which involved more removal of the tunnel back towards the hand brake lever, this way i could brace a full square around where the lever was to come through.
stag firewall & tunnel mods 007.jpg drivers side view
drivers side (r.h.) view of original modification was soon to be changed.
stag tunnel strengthening nov 09 001.jpg tunnel brace 2nd. time
this is the second attempt at bracing the area. lot happier with this which is only the start as it gets a lot more strenghening yet.
you can see from the previous pictures how much more floor tunnel is removed back towards the hand brake lever.
stag tunnel strengthening nov 09 003.jpg new outer panel
made up this new outer panel shaped to cover the tunnel for easy access for what ever reasons?? attatches with hex head screws.
stag mods 11 dec 09 026.jpg brace tunnel
thats the bracing of the tunnel pretty much finished, etched waiting for next detail.
f-250 for sale 003.jpg f1977 ford f-250 4x4
i sold this truck recently after a 9 year resto job. cab off the whole lot, it is a 351clev. running straight gas(lpg) c-6 auto never planned on selling it, but when the 3rd child came along the whole family couldnt fit, so decided to sell it. all that time i could have spent on the stag.
oh well at least i learnt some ideas that can be put to use for the stag build. like dont waste to much time on the body work that can come a lot later just get it mechanically done right, more of a sleeper type deal. any one whos done a full resto would know the body prep & painting is the most time consuming part. doesnt make it go any better though.
stag motor now out 004.jpg hamilton jet boat
this is our family boat that we just dont get to use it often enough. built this up from a sad old neglected thing. it now runs a ford 351 clev. & a 2 stage colarado jet unit with a performance nozzle all new interior, left the exterior the way it was. plan was to take it places like rapid type areas & creeks that are hard to get through etc. did it once. the other times just a few times out the port hacking & a few out at georges river. its no good for cruising & talking to friends as its to bloody loud. fun to go out & slam around in, 360 spins goes in a couple of inches of water
stag firewall & tunnel mods 004.jpg new tunnel panels
here is the new tunnel sheet metal shaped as close to original with enough room for the larger bellhousing mounted further back. held in with self drilling bolts before being welded.
stag firewall & tunnel mods 006.jpg drivers side view of tunnel
this shows the new metal on the R.H. side you can see the clutch pedal is already installed & happy there is enough room to fabricate a nice foot rest, which will hopefully get a work out at the track in the future.??
shop front & stag engine mounting to firewall nov.09 005.jpg L.H. passenger side mount
not a great view but the best picture i can find at the moment both LH. & RH. sides have been mounted back onto the original stag mounting points. nothing has been welded or drilled to allow the mounting to the chassis rail. this L.H. side is running a f-150 engine mount,the metal plating used to pick up the mount to stag rail is i little heavier guage then required but it was just something i had at the time. unfortunately the R.H. drivers side mount was not so easy could not use the same f-150 mount as it did not leave any room to exit he exhaust.
shop front & stag engine mounting to firewall nov.09 007.jpg R.H. DRIVERS SIDE MOUNT
the R.H. mount is from a ford trader truck thats a re-badged mazda t4100 which is a big heavy 6 cylinder diesel motor so hopefully its up to the task. it is the torque pulling side of the engine so i may end up trying to chain it or wire rope it down also. the mount it self is quite simple just a rectangle with a stud out each side. you can see it has been moved forward of the regular mounting position. made up a plate on the engine block side that picks up the most forward mounting hole of the original ford mount & then runs forward to pick up a threaded hole that is at 90 deg. to the normal location. on the other side made up the plate to pick up the origanl stag mounting plate. this has left a nice hopefully large enough area to exit the header pipe.
stag mods 11 dec 09 006.jpg engine
this is the engine already built waiting for install. its been run on the floor a few times & seems to be all good. will be back on the engine stand soon to remove the sump & replace it with what ever needs to be modified to fit, it will get a fair bit taken out of the front of it now that i will be running the external oil pump.
from what i can work out i am expecting the small block ford with t-5 to end up weighing less then the stag 3ltr. with the bw65 auto. will no the answer to that when the car gets re-weighed before the engineer will pass. i think it weighed in at 1290kg before taking out he stag motor, i have that weight somewhere.
with the windsor running alloy heads, alloy inlet manifold, alloy water pump, headers. there is a lot of weight savings to be had.
not expecting the difference in weight to be much which should be a good thing, as from what i hear it can be difficult & expensive to get a stag with a lighter front end to handle on the track.????
stag mods 11 dec 09 011.jpg welded tunnel
left hand side of tunnel welded. just needs cleaning & painting followed by dynamat & carpet, cant see that happening for a while!
stag mods 11 dec 09 014.jpg tunnel welded left & right & centre
thats the tunnel welded left side right side & centre. welded inside & out. gives a good view of how the tunnel has grown inside the cabin. the original stag heater will not be fitting back.
stag mods 11 dec 09 023.jpg tunnel welded exterior
this is the tunnel welded on the outside special attention given to the area where the tunnel meets the lh. chassis rail, making sure the was enough clearance for the clutch slave cylinder. will be running a nissan patrol slave cylinder which has the same bolt pattern & bore size as the original ford cylinder but has pipe & bleeder at the rear of the cyinder rather then the side exit of the ford. this will be a lot neater job.
stag pics 23dec 09 003.jpg engine bay prep
engine bay being further stripped. now getting ready for painting. still need to put the dummy block back in to fabricate the new sump
headers stag ej7548aa 001.jpg HEADERS RH SIDE(DRIVERES)
its time to make up headers as nothing off the shelf will fit, or even go close to fitting. purchased a pair of flanges & a bunch of mandrel bends 90 deg. 45 deg. etc. big job time consuming, in ...out.....in......out..
used the mock up engine with cast iron ford heads, now im a little worried the dart alloy heads may sit a little wider????
hope not as i dont have much room to play with. still need to tweak them a bit more from this picture they need to be heated & bent in tighter to miss the steering shaft knuckle.
will probably run a cast iron exhaust manifold on the passenger side(left) as a stock manifold falls nicely in place
RH.DRIVERS SIDE HEADER
did i already show this picture
DSC01440.JPG R.H HEADER TACKED IN PLACE
ready to fully weld after many hours of cutting bending shaping into place, might have to match it with a left side later on?
engine bay painted 003.jpg engine bay painted
engine bay now painted. finally decided on a standard white off the shelf colour (hi-op white) can get it in 400gram pressure pack tins or 1ltr., 4ltr., 20ltr. will one day paint the complete car but thats a long way off. need to get it back on the road & hopefully take it to the track.
engine bay painted 004.jpg tunnel painted
thought it was worth showing the tunnel since it had so many mods done to it. not that any one will ever be looking at this area, except the engineer certificate man?? will hopefully fit dyna mat in this area also. next is to clean up the inside cabin area of the tunnel & paint the floor. have to speed up the engine install now trying to meet a dead line of possible rule changes for fitting larger motors. which will for sure get harder to pass rather then easier.

Edited 31 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 04:24PM by jax050.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: STAGGER ME
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 14, 2011 09:05PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.