Project Journals

create a diary for your project and show us your progress, with up to 100 photos!

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Kurt
Kurt Artinger
Belleville IL
(3 posts)

10/09/2012 10:01AM

Main British Car:
1960 Daimler SP 250 2.5 twin turbo hemi V8

Daimler sp250
Posted by: Kurt
Date: October 09, 2012 10:32AM

Owner: Kurt Artinger
City: Belleville IL USA
Car Model: Daimler sp250
Engine: 2.5 litre hemi V*
Cooling:
Exhaust: Custom dual 3"
Transmission: Tremec T5
Rear Axle: Ford 9"
Front Susp.: mustang 2, coil over
Rear Susp.: leaf springs and shocks
Brakes:
(master) original
(front) disc
(rear) disck
Wheels/Tires: 15x8 rear 15x7 front
Body Mods: Wheel flares to be extended out 3", back of cockpit moved 14" forward, roll bar,
Interior: remove rear seat, custom modifications, original seat
Electrical: Original

The project started pretty simple, I was going to restore the car and just build up the motor a little. Well that thought process went out the window. My cousin Mark Schaefer is an engine builder and stock car racer having built quite a few tube frames over the years. We started to think about what kind of potential does the little V8 have. Below is some of the modifications but it looks like we will end up with a twin turbo Daimler Hemi V8 producing around 450 RWHP.
11/14/2012
we have been playing around mocking up the turbos and ran into a few problems. Each T4 turbo measured 9.3" long and that length does not give us much to work with for the carb base. After a lot of research decided to go with t2.5 with 62 trim and an internal wastegate. 7.2" each and frees up a lot of room. Each turbo is capable of 260hp. Should be done in about a week so we will have to redo the flanges and by eliminating the external wastegates we free up some room to make a cross member across the shock towers.... or what is left of them.
Got the new wheels in, picture is added. they are from ET wheels custom made 15x8- 2" offset rear and 15x7- 4" offset. They did a great job and look like the vintage magnesium type.

resize daimler.jpg

Iphone 071.jpg

Iphone 095a.jpg

Midplate made for Tremec T5
midplate 002a.jpg

Iphone 103a.jpg

10-15-12 001b.jpg
Turbo mock-up
10-15-12 002a.jpg

Exhaust through the upper and lower control arms
exhaust.jpg
photo.JPG
Finally got the t2.5 turbos with internal wastegates in - capable of 280HP each. Changed the angle of the turbos for the exhaust and they are fitting in nicely. Next to make bracket for the carb and make the carb box.
turbo.JPG
We have finished all of the mock up and painted the frame. Now it is time to get it as a roller so it can go to the body shop for finishing and paint.
photo.JPG

2-27.JPG

3-28.JPG
Body back on frame and suspension ready for the body shop
photo.JPG
flaring the fenders for the wider tires, back of the cockpit is now filled in

fender.JPG
It has been a while since I posted anything but we have made some progress. I have attached some pictures of the body. Extended flares and closed the cockpit. The engine is nearing completion. I decided to go with fuel injection, and of course the twin turbos are lookin sexy!
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1459.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1749.JPG
The body is on with the engine and radiator in place. Pretty well have to put my engineering cap on to figure out the plumbing for the radiator and the intercooler. It looks like I am going to have to modify the front to gain the space I need to fit everything in.
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1783.JPG

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 10:33AM by Kurt.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Daimler sp250
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 13, 2013 05:06PM

/

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.