Project Journals

create a diary for your project and show us your progress, with up to 100 photos!

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Lefthand_Drive
Ash Berkman

(1 posts)

04/29/2024 05:13PM

Main British Car:

Ash’s 1952 Austin A40 Sport Convertible
Posted by: Lefthand_Drive
Date: April 29, 2024 05:39PM

Hi everyone,

I’ve just started digging into my project 1952 Austin A40 Sport Convertible. Quite a rare car on its own, I’m located in the US, so it is even more rare.
I rescued the car from rotting away due to neglect. Not on the road since 1962, the car came with no engine or transmission, no interior whatsoever, and what’s left of a 70 year old convertible top that started decaying in the 70s. The original tinkerer decided to do a 350 engine swap based on the engine mounts that were popcorn welded to the frame. The steering shaft was cut at the firewall and a column from a Chevy Citation van was welded to the factory shaft.

So what do you do with all that tomfoolery?

I work at a hot rod shop and decided to restomod. I am dropping in a GM 3.8l supercharged engine (Aussies know it as the ecotec engine), mated to a T5 transmission and an 8.8” rearend narrowed with custom axles and disc brakes. I am currently in talks with a fab shop to build a custom Mustang II style weld in front suspension with disc brakes. I do paint and body work, so I will be doing all of that work myself. I will be spraying House of Kolors Organic Green Kandy and pairing that with an iridescent ivory marine grade vinyl for the interior. I am using the vinyl because I am deleting the top and turning the car into a roadster.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.