Project Journals

create a diary for your project and show us your progress, with up to 100 photos!

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

indesignmotorsports
ROBERT HENRY
So Cal
(5 posts)

03/04/2010 07:41AM

Main British Car:
MGB V8 LS-1

Robert Henry of InDesign Motorsports 75 MGB LS-1 Speedster
Posted by: indesignmotorsports
Date: January 16, 2011 06:45AM

Ok after a few requests from Jim and a few others I started a journal. I've enjoyed reading about all the different takes on these car we all love so much.

My take is a little unique and I hope you all like it. I have been into the custom car thing for a while and have incorperated some street rod, custom building stuff into my car I will upload some pics ASAP let me know what you think.

Owner: Robert Henry - InDesign Motorsports
City: Chino
Car Model: MGB
Engine: 99 SS Camaro LS-1

Cooling: Custom Aluminum Radiator

Exhaust: CGS Motorsports

Transmission: Undecided - Moch up was for T-56

Rear Axle: Jaguar LSD

Front Susp.: C4 Corvette 1996

Rear Susp.: Jaguar

Brakes: Corvette C4
(master) Tilton
(front) PBR
(rear) Jaguar

Wheels/Tires: C5 Wheels used for moch up

Body Mods: Lots stay tuned

Interior: All Custom

Electrical:
mgb-rendering.jpg

This is the car when I first got it absolutly rust free, a great body to start with.
1.jpg

I cut off the entire unibody, to make way for Chris Alston Chassisworks frame rails 2x3 .120
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

The floor was made solid with 1/4 strips of metal to take away the truck bed pattern and give the frame a solid level base, the L brackets were made to secure the rails to the body just as the factory unibody was attached just much stronger.
5.jpg

The rear frame rails were built up with 1/4 steel plate and the Jaguar rear cross member attached.
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

A fuel cell frame was made and the entire frame, rear crossmenber and fuel cell mounts will all be tied together with a hidden roll cage.
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Firewall was shaved
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

We had an extra 4.6 rover that was stroked to 5.0 in the shop we used in this pic but the car actually has a LS-1
17.jpg

This is my new front crossmenber for my Corvette C-4 suspension. I had these beautiful lower control arm mounts machined for me out of 2 inch chunk. Definetly overkill but we plan on beating the snot out of the car for the Hot Rod power tour and auto cross events so better safe than sorry. The U bend cross menber was bent by Art Morrison and is 4x2 .120
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg

Well this is the last pic I have right now I will get some more taken asap. Send me a private message if you have an opinion, comment, question or concern

Thanks
24.jpg

Here are some pics of my firewall rebuild. I built an upper shelf out of square tube to create a strong structure for things to come with the smooth firewall and reversed intake assembly

wall1.jpg
wall2.jpg
wall3.jpg
wall4.jpg
wall5.jpg

This is my new Flaming River Power Rack which I am so excitied to have on the car. I ended up having the lines run to the forward sode of the rack and made a simple mount for there billet mounts.

rack1.jpg
rack2.jpg
rack3.jpg
rack4.jpg
rack5.jpg
rack mount1.jpg
rack mount2.jpg
I also am using Flaming River for the Column and all the u joints and shafts. They make beautiful stuff and I couldn't be happier with there quality.

shaft 1.jpg

There are my front coil-over shock mounts I made up

shock mount1.jpg
shock mount 2.jpg
shock mount3.jpg
column 1.jpg

The stock side mounted dash bar has been removed from the car and a 1 1/2 inch .120 DOM tube has been welded in its place. The column is mounted to that bar. There is also a pic of the firewall plates which will be removable and will have 1 3/4 .120 DOM going to the front of the frame rails. The car will be braced from the front frame rails, to the firewall, then to the dash bar. Really stiff with no flex.
column mount1.jpg
column mount2.jpg
column mount 3.jpg
Soon it will be time to work on the headers
shop.jpg
work bench.jpg

I am running an ACT Clutch and flywheel on the car and am excited to see it perform.

I'm waiting on my Jaguar rear suspension to be narrowed and I should have it back any day now
Stay tuned..
act clutch.jpg

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. Life gets in the way sometimes.

Here are a bunch of pictures of my header build and my rear wheel wells.

You will notice I narrowed the rear frame rails then boxed them in again, I then fit in custom made 14 gauge trailer fenders to maintain the unibody structure and to keep the body super solid. I had already done a 1/4 plate on the inside of the frame rails to support the IRS crossmenber so there was no issues with anything moving or twisting when the old ones were cut out.

There was a local company that custom makes any fenders to your dimensions so I used these fenders to keep the structure. Normal wheel tubs are 20 gauge where these are 14 super strong for me to use as a foundation for the rear fender flair design.

The headers were mild steel 16 gauge 1 and 3/4 and were easy to build. I was not concerned with making them equal length since the car is already going to have stupid power to weight ratio. I'll keep posting pics as this moves along.

9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
36.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
45.jpg
47.jpg
48.jpg
49.jpg
51.jpg
53.jpg
54.jpg

Well after a two year hiatus I'm back working on my MGB.
I hope you are all still interested and better yet I can share some new and exciting plans for the car.
Since its original design rendering was more of an outlook than an actual plan for the car.
I have had an actual rendering done as the car will look finished and there have been some changes. Let me know what you think. Glad to be back working on it again and happy to be moving towards completion. Sometimes life gets in the way, I moved my shop. Worked on 5 other cars, but I am now planted with roots and ready to work.

horton-hears-calling20.jpg

Here are some pics of the rear widebody metal work.
20160503_195438.jpg
20160505_151541.jpg
20160505_154410.jpg
20160505_154717.jpg
20160505_154725.jpg
20160505_154729.jpg
20160505_160244.jpg
20160505_160252.jpg
20160515_123055.jpg
20160515_124654.jpg

Here is an updated rendering showing a few changes. I've added side exhaust like a dodge viper and a rear diffuser. I have also made the rendering match the cars final widebody flare design
MGB Low Res.jpg

Edited 16 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2017 12:13PM by indesignmotorsports.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Robert Henry of InDesign Motorsports 75 MGB LS-1 Speedster
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 22, 2018 01:53AM

+

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.