Main British Car:
1969 Triumph Spitfire No engine........Soon to be 3.4L fuelie
1969 Spitfire Engine Swap
Posted by: switchb atch
Date: June 07, 2012 03:11PM
Owner: Mark Redman
City: Vancouver, Washington
Car Model: 1969 Triumph Spitfire
Engine: 1993-95 3.4L Fuel Injected Chevy (stock)
Cooling: VW (Scirroco)
Exhaust: Stock manifold with side pipes
Transmission: T5 (nwc)
Rear Axle: GT6 3.27:1
Front Susp.: Stock with GT6 springs
Rear Susp.: Stock
Brakes: Stock for now.
Wheels/Tires: Aluminum 13 in.
Body Mods: None.
Interior: Stock with Miata seats
Electrical: Lucas and GM
This swap started with an 86 Camaro engine and transmission. The fuel injection was removed and natural aspiration installed for simplicity. Well, the intake and carb ended up being too tall for the bonnet to close so a scoop was needed. After many months of hand wringing and lots of hours on the net looking for scoops and shorter intakes I finally decided to scrap the idea of simplicity and change engine.The 3.4L was selected because the factory manifold is only 3 inches above the valve covers and will fit under the bonnet. If need be, I can cut the front crossmember and lower the engine by an inch and still clear the steering rack. I just couldn't bring myself to cut a hole in a bonnet that I had spent so much money on during the restoration. Besides, the sleeper factor is high on my list of priorities.
The engine is sold and I'm searching for a 3.4L engine and all of the wiring and computer to go with it. The following photos are of the motor mount I fabricated for the 2.8L which will work on the 3.4L as well. I used the original Camaro mount and cut out the top, bottom, rear and shortened the front. I used the scrap pieces to fabricate the rest. I have GT6 motor mounts on the frame side as you can see. The engine fits with an inch to spare at the firewall and the steering rack fits between the oil pan and harmonic balancer. Some frame trimming around where the starter will be is a possibility but I haven't reached that point yet.
The next photos are of the frame cuts needed to get the T5 in proper alignment. I used the Camaro bellhousing which has the transmission tilted some 18 degrees (don't quote me on that) counterclockwise). If you use the S10 bellhousing this won't be a problem. I had the bellhousing redrilled (the bosses were already there) to set the transmission to the vertical.
Where the cuts went further than just the lip of the frame I will be adding support in that area to fill it in and keep the moisture and other items out.
More to follow.........