Main British Car:
1960 Daimler SP 250 2.5 twin turbo hemi V8
Posted by: Kurt
Date: October 09, 2012 10:32AM
Owner: Kurt Artinger
City: Belleville IL USA
Car Model: Daimler sp250
Engine: 2.5 litre hemi V*
Exhaust: Custom dual 3"
Transmission: Tremec T5
Rear Axle: Ford 9"
Front Susp.: mustang 2, coil over
Rear Susp.: leaf springs and shocks
Wheels/Tires: 15x8 rear 15x7 front
Body Mods: Wheel flares to be extended out 3", back of cockpit moved 14" forward, roll bar,
Interior: remove rear seat, custom modifications, original seat
The project started pretty simple, I was going to restore the car and just build up the motor a little. Well that thought process went out the window. My cousin Mark Schaefer is an engine builder and stock car racer having built quite a few tube frames over the years. We started to think about what kind of potential does the little V8 have. Below is some of the modifications but it looks like we will end up with a twin turbo Daimler Hemi V8 producing around 450 RWHP.
we have been playing around mocking up the turbos and ran into a few problems. Each T4 turbo measured 9.3" long and that length does not give us much to work with for the carb base. After a lot of research decided to go with t2.5 with 62 trim and an internal wastegate. 7.2" each and frees up a lot of room. Each turbo is capable of 260hp. Should be done in about a week so we will have to redo the flanges and by eliminating the external wastegates we free up some room to make a cross member across the shock towers.... or what is left of them.
Got the new wheels in, picture is added. they are from ET wheels custom made 15x8- 2" offset rear and 15x7- 4" offset. They did a great job and look like the vintage magnesium type.
Midplate made for Tremec T5
Exhaust through the upper and lower control arms
Finally got the t2.5 turbos with internal wastegates in - capable of 280HP each. Changed the angle of the turbos for the exhaust and they are fitting in nicely. Next to make bracket for the carb and make the carb box.
We have finished all of the mock up and painted the frame. Now it is time to get it as a roller so it can go to the body shop for finishing and paint.
Body back on frame and suspension ready for the body shop
flaring the fenders for the wider tires, back of the cockpit is now filled in
It has been a while since I posted anything but we have made some progress. I have attached some pictures of the body. Extended flares and closed the cockpit. The engine is nearing completion. I decided to go with fuel injection, and of course the twin turbos are lookin sexy!
The body is on with the engine and radiator in place. Pretty well have to put my engineering cap on to figure out the plumbing for the radiator and the intercooler. It looks like I am going to have to modify the front to gain the space I need to fit everything in.
Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 10:33AM by Kurt.