Main British Car:
69 spitfiremk111 ford 347 stroker
69 SPITFIRE V8 PROJECT(HENRY V8TH) PART 3
Posted by: rampant racing
Date: March 29, 2013 07:26PM
well here we are at part 3 and i am wondering how many more there will be lol.i managed to get the driveshaft all welded up and will soon be in the car for final mockup.i used the halfshaft yokes off of one of the corvette halfshafts i was initially going to put in the car before i took it out and went with an 8.8 ford for strength.after trimming the shaft off the yokes i used a section of 3" dom (drawn over mandrel) seamless tubing with a wall thickness of .125" and tig welded it in place.i don't think the shaft will be breaking anytime soon,lol.the shaft is 23" long from center to center of the u joints.
driveshaft coupled to new yokes and installed for mock up .looks like i can read a tape measure afterall,lol. i moved the front driveshaft loop back 2" to give clearance for the new heavy duty front slip yoke.no biggie only took 20 minutes.
my new UMI billet aluminum/urethane sway bar mounts showed up today.very nice pieces indeed and i reccommend them to anyone who needs some for a project.they are so much better than the metal strap type.
well I hope to be back on this build soon. the last year has been one thing after the other and with the loss of my daughter in april and renovating the house so we can raise her son/my grandson has kept me real busy. looking forward to getting at it. have to do a bit of work on the stang first though.
well I have made some more headway with the car recently in the way of getting some more welding completed but nothing new to look at so far. once I finish the front suspension I will get the body sat back on it and make up some paper patterns for the floor and tunnel etc. I really want to see the car sitting on all four wheels this summer with thee frame painted and the engine and trans in it for the last time. dying to get at the body mods. cheers fellas
ok I have been building a bead roller so I can get on with the sheet metal part of the build when I am ready for it . floors and trunk and trans tunnel all need custom made and stiffened with bead rolls. should be done soon. it will have no problem rolling beads in 16gauge steel or .100" aluminum.
well been busy again . managed to get the front control arms finished and the sway bar mounted and the shocks mounted and the steering rack mounted and tie rods made and the rad mounted after making it work. I had to get a new smaller rad cause the 19" tall one just wouldn't fit in the spit with the sway bar and stuff all mounted where it needed to go . so I got a 16" tall rad x22" wide. will be fine now. I must resize a bunch of pics before I can upload. what a pain. anyway that is all the suspension figured out on the car and most of the frame fabrication is done and dusted. I am putting the real engine in the frame soon to make sure it all does what it is supposed to. after that it goes on the spit to be finish welded then it goes onto the ground to get the body mounted and all modified and floors made etc etc etc . if I am lucky that will be done this year and then the frame can go off to the painter and get completely assembled. the bodywork and paint will be another year or so after that. doing it all myself and raising my grandson does not make for fast work lol. that's ok. it's a hobby after all.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 06:00PM by rampant racing.