Project Journals

create a diary for your project and show us your progress, with up to 100 photos!

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In


geerhead
Howard Leonard
Phoenix, Arizona
(1 posts)

Registered:
04/30/2015 07:01PM

Main British Car:
1967 TR4A Cadillac 3.6L V6

Howard Leonard '67 Tr4a. 3.6L cadillac LLT V6
Posted by: geerhead
Date: April 17, 2017 12:43AM

Owner: Howard Leonard
City: Phoenix, AZ
Car Model: '67 Triumph Tr4a

Engine: 3.6L V6 305hp

Cooling: Stock with mustang radiator

Exhaust: Dual 2.5" custom fab

Transmission: cadillac atm 5L40e

Rear Axle: Stock

Front Susp.: Stock plus tr6 sway bar.

Rear Susp.: Stock, plus shortened uprated springs, plus tube in spring shocks

Brakes: incomplete
(master)
(front)
(rear)

Chassis: front lower a-arm pivot brackets reinforced.
Differential mounts reinforced.
Rear upper spring perch reinforced

Wheels/Tires: tbd

Body Mods: firewall mod, dash tipped forward 25 degrees

Interior: tbd

Electrical: tbd
a374 (1) (800x563).jpg

Back ground: Ive had this tr4a since '96. the car was in very good shape (az car) and I'm the third owner. the engine turned out to have a cracked head and the cylinders had been full of water for years. also bent rod. I rebuilt the four bnger same year plus fuel system and hydraulic systems and drove it around maybe a few hundred miles. I got frustrated because I didn't have the time to do everything I wanted to the car. I decided to put it away until I could give it the love it deserved. in 2009 my buddy sent me pictures of his beautifully restored sunbeam super tiger with a stock but completely cromed 260 ford v8.that really got me fired up so that's when I dropped the hammer on the build, only instead of stock I wanted to build something that would beat his super tiger. what's that saying "jealousy is the mother of invention" ???anyway.............
508a go(640x442).jpg
here is my first test fit of the 2009 Cadillac CTS engine to determine the feasibility of this project. it fit pretty good requiring only minor surgery. little did I know at that time what a mistake I had made choosing this engine.
triumph-frame alignment evaluation03 (768x1024).jpg
After dismantling the car I decided to sand blast the frame myself in my shop. What a mistake! I thought it would make a mess but I had no idea. ill never never do that again. I checked the chassis for alignment and it was surprisingly straight. the only problem I found was the right swing arm pivot bracket was bent from what appeared to be an accident.(below)
triumph-evaluating upper control arm mounts07 (768x1024).jpg
it took me a while to figure out exactly what was causing this misalignment but once I figured it out it was an easy fix (above)
Triumph-plumbline centering jig for frame alignment measurement02 (768x1024).jpg
this little bent piece of wire kept my plumb bob centered in the holes in the frame so I could transfer the it's dimensions to the floor without having someone help me
Triumph-hand fabricated front upper control arm mount reinforcement brackets and bucks (1024x768).jpg
next step reinforce frame. I hand fabricated the swing arm bracket gussets. you can see the buck that I used to the left.
IMG_0336 (1024x768).jpg
after welding in the front a-arm bracket gussets I boxed the differential mounts, welded rear tube shock mounts into the upper spring perches, gusseted the upper rear spring perches where they overhang the spring perch stanchions and painted the frame with catalyzed rattle can paint. these mods will show up more clearly in later photos. its very likely I will not build another car so to avoid the cost and time of building a rotisserie I jerry rigged the wooden stands that can be seen in this pick. they actually worked very well for my purposes. they have casters so the frame was easy to move around.
triumph-lower rear tube shock brackets-swing arm01 (1024x768).jpg
here's a shot of my hand fabricated lower rear shock mounts
Triumph-rear shock dimension calculations (1024x768).jpg
once i had the shock mounts built and crunched the numbers on trailing arm geometry i could finally select a shock that would not inadvertently interfere with suspension travel (I love having white board wall to draw on)
triumph-replacement rear tube shocks (768x1024).jpg
triumph-upper rear tube shock brackets-swing arms-frame01 (768x1024).jpg
here you can see that I offset the upper shock mounts to just clear the body once it is back on the frame
IMG_0433 (1024x768).jpg
differential almost ready to go back in. I replaced pinion bearing and seal. opened it up to check for debris. very clean. checked mesh pattern and replaced axle bearings and seal.
(below) steering rack got a refresh. all it needed was a passenger side rack bushing. Front end bearings seals bushings completely refreshed. I have All Thread in place of the front shocks so I can fiddle with the cars stance once it nears completion.

triumph steering rack spreader tool (768x1024).jpg
this is the steering rack spreader tool I built to install the rack.
(below) the spreader in action.
triumph steering rack spreader tool in action (1024x768).jpg
IMG_0434 (1024x768).jpg



Edited 18 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 12:37AM by geerhead.


Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.