Project Journals

create a diary for your project and show us your progress, with up to 100 photos!

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In


EKStarzinger
Erich Starzinger
Atlanta, GA USA
(3 posts)

Registered:
12/11/2017 08:30AM

Main British Car:
1974 1/4 MGB GM 3.4L

Erich Starzinger's 1974 MGB with GM L32 3.4L V6
Posted by: EKStarzinger
Date: August 30, 2018 09:45PM

Owner: Erich Starzinger
City: Atlanta
Car Model: 1974 1/4 MGB (Mirage)
Engine: 1994 GM L32 3.4l V8

Cooling: Stock (for the moment)

Exhaust: TBD

Transmission: Toyota W58

Rear Axle: Stock

Front Susp.: Stock

Rear Susp.: Stock

Brakes: Stock
(master)
(front)
(rear)

Wheels/Tires: 15" Nissan 280ZX Turbo

Body Mods: None (yet)

Interior: Navy carpet and panels, Fiero seats

Electrical: Advanced Autowire. Gauges are Speedhut

Here's the car. I get a lot of odd looks with the color.
Mirage.jpg

The bellhousing came from a 1990 Jeep Comanche. The W58 from a Toyota Celica Supra.
W58.jpg

The flywheel is a stock Camaro flywheel re-drilled for a Toyota Supra 3.0 NA clutch.
clutch_disk-X2.jpg
clutch_installed-X2.jpg

Here's the engine assembled. When I fitted it in my test mule the stick comes out almost exactly the same as the stock location.
July_engine-X2.jpg

I am going to use a MKIV dash instead of the Abbington pillow for the extra gauges. The gauges as all Speedhut except the ammeter which is Clasic Instruments. The speedometer is GPS so I don't have to figure out how to interface with the transmission.
gauges-X2.jpg

Here's the engine bay. Note the BFH work needed for the engine to fit.
IMG_0169_sm.jpg

The sills, floor pans, interior firewall, rear ledge and battery boxes were treated with a special rust inhibitor/treatment that cost $100/pint. After the car is painted, the pans, sills and firewall will get a coating of two-part urethane bedliner. The painter says if the pans rust, it won't be because water got to them from the top (lol).
IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

Here's the car with one coat of paint. It's getting two more, and then three of clear coat.
IMG_0172.jpg

Here she is on the way home.
IMG_0189sm.jpg

And now the fun begins... It's hard to tell but Mirage is going to get a navy blue interior.
IMG_0197sm.jpg

This is a test fit of the dash. My motto has always been there is no such thing as too many gauges or too much horsepower. One note on the console - I am not installing the heater core or ventilation controls so holes on either side of the Peachtree MG Registry medallion will be filled with a cigarette lighter and a dual USB socket.
IMG_0219sm.jpg

To simplify the underdash wiring with all the aftermarket gauges, I have installed marine type busbars for switched and direct power, and ground.
IMG_0206sm.jpg

To make sure I can cool the V6 on a sweltering Atlanta day, I'm looking at a fan from a Volvo S70. It will be tight but should work with some modication to the radiator support and fan shrould. Note - changed to a smaller Hayden fan so i can use the Moss shroud an need be.
IMG_0428.JPG

Got the parts back from Custom Coaters of Atlanta. The black will really pop against the mauve engine compartment.
IMG_0220sm.jpg

Here's my modified center console. One side is a cigar lighter (mostly for the GPS) and the other side is a dual-USB socket. The center is a grill badge I used to cover the hole.
IMG_0264SM.jpg

Now that I've started to do the wiring, I've decided to use Delphi Weatherpack connectors for the most part. I like the idea of using water resistant connectors. I'm also running the loom to the back of the car through the passenger compartment. The engine side loom I am running through the fender well. That way the engine compartement will look relatively clean.

Fabricated a mounting plate for the washer pump and for an inertial safety switch (fuel pump cutoff). I could have found a place inside for the inertial switch but no good place stood out, and the engine compartment was the easy choice. Added a fuel pump cutoff switch and bump starter. Those were suggested as good ideas for when working on the engine.

IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG

I've decided to use a Hayden 291 remote oil filter adapter. Together with some plumbing fittings from Ace Hardware I hope the oil temp and oil pressure sensors with work in it.
IMG_0445.JPG

After much heart burn I decided to dump the AC/Delco alternator. The battery post on the alternator was just too close to the valve cover for comfort. After looking around, i settled on the Nippon Denso unit fitted to a Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift 1.3L 3 banger. The unit is 2/3 the size of the Delco unit and puts out 55A. It comes with either a v-belt , 3 rib or 4 rib pulley, and best of all the battery post is on the side. Also, it uses GM style mounts (3 ears) so adapting it to the car is simple.
IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0472.jpg
Mounted, the alternator fit very nicely. I did have to drill out two of the ears to fit the M12 bolts the engine required.
IMG_0487.jpg



Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2020 09:19PM by EKStarzinger.


Moderator
Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4483 posts)

Registered:
10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Erich Starzinger's 1974 MGB with GM L32 3.4L V6
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 03, 2020 05:07PM

@


Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.