Rootes Group Cars

a place for Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Singer, and Talbot performance enthusiasts

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

squeezeweezil
Jessie Herrera

(5 posts)

10/21/2009 05:09AM

Main British Car:

Alpine V8 swap how to
Posted by: squeezeweezil
Date: December 15, 2009 01:05PM

Hello,
I'm doing a small block Ford swap into my 67 Alpine. I've done some pretty intense research to where I think I can do a fairly sanitary swap with no real or unsurmountable complications. The difference I'm doing is with a mustang 2 driveline and a MG rack and pinion although I'm going to examine the Mustang 2 rack and pinion swap. I'm making a video of each major step as well as a template for the firewall. I'm going to try to cover it all and put it into layman's terms. If you can help me in any way with information and pictures I would really appreciate it. Credit will be served. I've gathered lots of information, but you can never get enough. Once complete, it will be available for just the costs of the tape and template. I will cover sources and part descriptions and part numbers. I haven't been able to find any how-to manuals anywhere so I'm hoping that this will help other builders. Thank you.
Jessie Herrera
619-668-0735
P.O. Box 1976
Spring Valley
Ca. 91979-1976

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Alpine V8 swap how to
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 15, 2009 06:07PM

Quote:
Once complete, it will be available for just the costs of the tape and template.

I think it would be a whole lot cooler if the "How To" information and template were made available to BritishV8 for publishing online as either one big article or a series of articles. Selling information is so very old-fashioned! Much better to simply give information away to a whole lot of people instead.

squeezeweezil
Jessie Herrera

(5 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 16, 2009 02:38AM

Fair enough, but the video tape is not free. It was not my intention to sell it or make any profit, but I like your idea. I'd love to share. Could you do it with a video or would pictures be better. I'd like to cover all aspects of the swap to make it as painless as possible. The template will be out of sheet metal pattern paper. What's the best way to submit it? The pattern will be to scale. It is my hopes that anyone should be able to put the pattern on the floorboard and mark it out for cutting. Also, they could apply the pattern to the new sheet metal piece and get a shop to form it from the new pattern. I'd hate to make a drawing and transfer all the specs to actual size. Copy and cut is a lot easier to do. I could also send you a copy of the actual template so that you could distribute it or make it easily available.
All the other information should be easy to supply, but it will probably be lenghty and detailed. I don't want to leave room for errors. I do my own welding and sheet metal forming and I realize that a lot of users out there do not have all the equipment needed to do the swap. I'd like to supply as much information as possible for just about anyone that wants to do it and if they can't do all the work I'd like to make it simple enough where any sheet metal or machining work is easy and affordable so they can make whatever is needed without any complications (ex: "Here's what I need, make it.").
I thank you for your input. Any other suggustions or Ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jessie

squeezeweezil
Jessie Herrera

(5 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: Alpine V8 swap how to REVIEWED
Date: February 02, 2010 05:52AM

Hello,
Unfortunately, I have a Mopar six pack car, a 1981 Big Bore Porsche, and A trailer I'm making first so it will probably be a while before I get to the Sunbeam. I have no information on the templates yet, but I do have multiple pictures of the fire wall and tunnel from an actual Later Tiger. I also have an article or 2 about the front end steering work, I currently have a Chevy V6 in mine with a MG rack and pinion steering. I'll have to examine that for modifications. It's quite different that the Mustang 2. On the other hand I also have a mustang 2 axle and 2 Pinto axles which are close in demensions but mount differently. The MG is probably the best choice. I need to compare the Ford 8" off of a Mustang 2 to see if it is close enough to work or if I'll have to get it narrowed and reloacated spring pads. Once I get the rear hooked up I'll do the front using the mustang 2 spindles. I have information on doing those. Lastly, I'll take the motor and tranny out and cut some clearences on the fire wall as I try to fit the bare 302 block and tranny in. The photos I have are several and are out of a actual stripped down Later Tiger. They are in fair detail, but they are not templates and have no mesurements so it's all nip and tuck for right now, I'll share what I have if you call me or leave a e-mail. In retro spect I should have done the swap first and recorded it, but I'm still gathering information, because I don't want to make any mistakes. If you find any data at all regarding the swap please let me know and please send it to me. Any information from all would make this swapover painless. Any help from you would be fantastic and would allow me to give you a terrific plan and pictures with all the information you need. Thank you. Jessie squeezeweezil@yahoo.com. 619-668-0735

wpotter
Wilfred Potter
Springfield, Ohio
(5 posts)

03/08/2010 04:30PM

Main British Car:
1966 Sunbeam Tiger &Alpine Ford 302 V8-Ford 347 V8

authors avatar
Posted by: wpotter
Date: March 09, 2010 08:15PM

I'm not sure where u r located but the unquestioned expert on the things u need to know is Doug Jennings @ the former Tiger Auto in Dayton Ohio. Doug is retired but is a member of the local brit club who will share his knowledge & possesses a ton of parts. I had a manual Must II narrowed for my Tiger w/ the II spindles. see this web site. Hope it helps. Will Potter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.