Rootes Group Cars

a place for Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Singer, and Talbot performance enthusiasts

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

TeamEvil
Thomas Canty

(34 posts)

03/07/2012 02:01PM

Main British Car:

Front suspension swap info needed for 1955 Hilman Husky
Posted by: TeamEvil
Date: March 07, 2012 03:41PM

Hey,

First posting, looking for some help if there is any around for these cars. We have a 1955 Hillman Husky and are in the middle of an attempt at upgrading the drive train. The rear is all sorted out, but the front is still stock and completely worn out.

The undersides of the frame members need to be metal filled and welded up and we really would love to be able to substitute some other suspension parts for a more modern ride, maybe even a disk brake set-up if there is one from another car that would work.

Any tips, ideas, cautions, or help would a terrific.

Thanks !

TC

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: Front suspension swap info needed for 1955 Hilman Husky
Posted by: mgb260
Date: March 09, 2012 08:39AM

I know the 59 (Ryan Reis) can use the Alpine suspension. If you are redoing the frame rails anyway, find out width need hub flange to hub flange. Fatman Fabriations and others can do narrowed Mustang II street rod type front ends. Welder series and Speedway Motors are good sources for DIY. I will have a Series 5 Alpine front suspension available after I do the Mustang II front end in the Alpine.

J Man
jason adkins
NW OH
(202 posts)

01/21/2009 08:49PM

Main British Car:
'61 Morris Minor panel, '70 MGB GT, '74 MGB GT MGB 1.8, unsure yet on the GTs

Posted by: J Man
Date: March 09, 2012 10:15AM

Do you know what the width of the front suspension is? Hub flange to Hub flange as mentioned above.

TeamEvil
Thomas Canty

(34 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 09, 2012 11:23AM

Thanks guys. This past year, we bought a second Hillman "parts car" mostly for or the hood. It had a very nice Jeep Dana 44 rear end in it, which we swapped over to the Hillman Husky. It was a drop-in fit. The parts car also had a Mustang II front suspension in it, but we didn't like the increased width and it required more cutting of the original frame than we really wanted.

This week, we took a closer look at the front suspension and found the bars that the upper a-arms pivoted on were each in three pieces, sheared off. Possibly when we replace these and change out the brakes we may be in decent shape and keep part of the stock set-up in place. Still looking at some shock options.

Turns out, oddly enough, that Chevrolet S10 front rotors fit the stock drum brake Hillman spindles with a bearing mix and match. Perfect fit. This sort of opens up another door for things up front if we can locate a pair of caliper mounts that can be adapted to the spindle and caliper. (Whichever caliper we find that will work.)

Has anyone ever run with Chevy truck rotors on their Hillman? I'd be super interested in the parts list that you used to put the set-up together?

Anyway, thanks again. If anyone has any other tips/ideas, we're open to all right now.

HuskyV8
Douglas Lyle

(1 posts)

02/03/2012 06:17PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: HuskyV8
Date: March 25, 2012 01:15AM

I put a Heidt's front end in in my 57 Husky. We had to narrow it 7-8 inches but it worked great. I'm now in the process of putting in a Jag/Maserati IRS.
IMG_8014.jpg
IMG_8015.jpg
Husky.jpg
IMG_8586.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 25, 2012 06:52AM

Very cool - and welcome Douglas.

socorob
Robbie
La
(173 posts)

09/17/2009 04:42PM

Main British Car:
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 Ford 2.8 V6

Posted by: socorob
Date: March 25, 2012 09:09AM

[toyzjunkie.com]
Doesn't that use the same crossmember as an alpine or tiger? This guys looks nice. Bolt in with no cutting. I saw on Adam carolla car cast they were putting one on their racing tiger.
Dales restoration also makes one.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: March 29, 2012 03:59PM

Doug, those pics are inspiring. I wracked my brain over whether to use a mustang II on my '59 Husky, but in the end I decided to stick with a SV Alpine front end with big brakes for now.

Question: What are/did you do for a steering rack? Did you narrow one, or did Heidt's provide one the correct width?

HillmanHusky
Scott Wiley

(2 posts)

08/15/2012 07:01AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: HillmanHusky
Date: August 15, 2012 07:18AM

Hello,

I have a 1961 Hillman Husky that has constant brake problems. I am tired of it and would like to use a Mustang II or Heidts set up.

However, I don't weld and so I would have to hire it done.

I live in Northern Indiana. Does anyone know of any place in the Midwest where I could get some fabrication work done on a Hillman?

I know there are a ton of hot rod shops around, but I would prefer someone with Hillman conversion experience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott
with salon girls.jpg
Hillman 6.JPG
door.jpg

TeamEvil
Thomas Canty

(34 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 24, 2012 08:52PM

Very late update:

Haven't been here much at all lately or otherwise, kind of working my way into the habit of posting more often though. LOTS of progress on the MGA, but some on the Hillman Husky as well.

After all was looked over and evaluated, we decided to do a full rebuild of the stock front suspension and steering. Loads of work, sourcing new parts, fitting parts not meant to be there, but in the end everything is really nice and super tight and works wonderfully !

With the steering and suspension all sorted out, we're now in the midst of the front brake upgrade. Chevy rotors, sourced bearings, Chevy calipers and now working through the caliper brackets. We made some foam core templates and have been looking at what Speedway has to offer, but thinking that two piece brackets might be the way for us. Picked up a spent Ford disk brake rear end and are cutting the caliper brackets off of that as well, they hold some promise.

Otherwise, progressing. The little Ford is in, trans bolted in place as well with the driveshaft all set to install. The shifter fits just a few inches rearward of stock. Hoping to somehow fit the stock pedal assembly but hooking it up to a pair of Wilwood masters, that's still on the bench, but there's hope.

If anyone has a lead on universal or aftermarket caliper brackets that might be altered and fitted to the Hillman spindles, please post.

Otherwise, all for now. Over and out.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: December 25, 2012 08:33PM

Thomas, Did you use the S-10 rotor with S-10 outer bearings and Alpine inner? Ranger hubs work the same way if you need Ford pattern. What about the seal? Pictures?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2012 08:54PM by mgb260.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.