Rootes Group Cars

a place for Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Singer, and Talbot performance enthusiasts

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
How-It-Was-Done: Ryan's '59 Hillman Husky
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 26, 2013 08:01PM

Surely most of us who post regularly on BritishV8 feel we already know Ryan and his Husky - at least a little bit.

We've followed progress as bodywork came together and as the car got a handsome paint job.

Some of us had the great pleasure of meeting Ryan and seeing his Husky in person earlier this month during BritishV8 2013.

Well... it's time we add Ryan's '59 Husky to the Photo Gallery.

Here are 37 new photos and a proper "How It Was Done" treatment:
Ryan Reis' Oldsmobile "Quad 4" powered 1959 Hillman Husky

Congratulations, Ryan!

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/RyanReis/RyanReis-AA.jpg

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: How-It-Was-Done: Ryan's '59 Hillman Husky
Posted by: BWA
Date: June 27, 2013 12:29AM

You have done a great job Ryan.
Do you plan on running without bumpers?
What type of bellhousing did you use to mate the Camaro T5 to the FWD Quad engine?
If these engines work with the Hillman would they not also work in the Sunbeam Alpine?

Cheers
Byron

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: June 28, 2013 11:03AM

Curtis, thanks for putting this together, I appreciate your work and am excited to have my own HIWD!

It's funny how many people ask about the bumpers! Yeah, I'm not planning on putting any bumpers on it. I have a set, but they're in terrible condition. Also, when I basically rebuilt the back end of the car I didn't make any provision for attaching a bumber. I could definitely make it work, but I like it better without. I have thought of adding some kind of bumperettes, but that's low on the priority list. I need an interior, an emergency brake and some wipers first!

The bellhousing is a DIY custom made by someone who knew what they were doing with a mill and a tig welder. Part of it is a factory bellhousing, but from what I don't know. It almost has to be from a FWD quad 4 transmission as I believe the Quad 4 bellhousing pattern is unique. I had the transmission out last winter to change the clutch and I didn't take any pictures. You know how it is when you're in a hurry. At any rate, if you were doing this now I think you'd just buy the bellhousing from Quad 4 Rods in Colorado. There was nothing available when Steve did this conversion in the early '90's.

Anything that works in a Husky would work in an Alpine, but keep in mind my Husky has had the transmission tunnel cut out and replaced. There are no other engine bay or steering modifications, so it works pretty well.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 28, 2013 12:02PM

I just wish I had hitched a ride. Maybe next year!

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: June 29, 2013 07:54PM

Ryan,

Did you get the correct receipt from Speedway Motors for your purchase when we were all there (BritishV8 meet 2013)? If you didn't, they gave it to me when I picked up my parts. If you need the receipt, PM your address to me, and I will send it to you.

Awesome write up on your Hillman!

Calvin

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 01, 2013 03:05PM

Calvin, when I was walking out the door I noticed I had the wrong receipt so I went back in and got the right one. I bet I had yours to start with! Thanks for the offer!

flyingbrick
nathan chalecki

(1 posts)

11/18/2014 11:39PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: flyingbrick
Date: November 18, 2014 11:46PM

Hi all.

Hopefully Ryan is still active here! I have signed up just for this one question...

What is that throttle pedal from? Its the only one iv seen that has the cable exiting the left like that

Thanks!

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 23, 2015 11:46AM

Just so nobody thinks I'm ignoring Nathan, I responded to his PM that the throttle pedal was in the car when I bought it. I don't know where it came from, it kind of looks homemade, but I'm not sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.