Rootes Group Cars

a place for Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Singer, and Talbot performance enthusiasts

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Twin Turbo Tiger
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 09, 2010 02:50PM

Some new / additional photos of Jerry's Tiger have been uploaded to the gallery! Check it out:
Jerry Porsch's 371cid Ford V8 Powered 1966 Sunbeam Tiger

I especially like this one:
http://www.britishv8.org/Other/JerryPorsch/JerryPorsch-JE.jpg

Jerry, what exactly are we looking at here (left to right)?

fasttiger
Jerry Porsch
Las Cruces, New Mexico
(78 posts)

10/23/2007 08:40AM

Main British Car:
1966 Sunbeam Ford 380 ci with twin turbo's

Re: Twin Turbo Tiger
Posted by: fasttiger
Date: March 10, 2010 03:42PM

Battery box, Air to water cooler, lid is where we put the ice in, blow off valve on the charge pipe, fitting on top of cooler is hook to a pump the recirculates the ice water thru the inter cooler. Last of all the two pipes that run into the cooler are from turbo's mounted just in front of the rear panel.
System has really work great for the last year lots of street driving and still runs hard on pump gas and its free horsepower!!!!
Thanks for posting up the pic.
Jerry

jellison
Jon Ellison

(52 posts)

04/27/2010 08:09AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: jellison
Date: April 27, 2010 09:03AM

How can this possibly work. The Blowers (I can see one inthe picture) are just infront of the rear axle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thta has to be the furthest away I can every remember seeing a Turbo setup. The lag must be timed in Weeks!

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Re: Twin Turbo Tiger/Huh ?
Posted by: roverman
Date: April 27, 2010 07:59PM

Dear Jon Jetson, Obviously rear mounted turbo set-ups, are oblivious to conventional wisdom, of which, you seem to be entrenched. I suggest you take your best-effort, conventional turboed car, to the track and "contest" , Jerrys impossible performance ! Perhaps you would like two napkins, for the humble pie ? Pleasant motoring, roverman.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2010 08:07PM by roverman.

slow_M
Bernard Holzberg

(59 posts)

07/18/2008 11:12AM

Main British Car:
1975 TVR M series Ford 331

Posted by: slow_M
Date: April 28, 2010 11:08AM

Art,

Jon races (rather successfully) on tracks that have turns on them, he's looking at this from a road racer's perspective

I suspect this Tiger was not designed for such a purpose. I'm sure it does what Jerry likes to do with it very well.

B

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: April 28, 2010 06:51PM

Our sport is constantly evolving. There are more, "sharp" people than ever trying new things, that were considered, non workable, in the past, some of them actually work, like well engineered, rear turbo set-ups. 2 cents, roverman.

jellison
Jon Ellison

(52 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 29, 2010 03:42AM

roverman - by the track I presume you mean some straightline Blast type thing, not REAL racing, with corners, where you have to constantly brake and get on the gas.

It is a Daft idea and only done presumably because he could not find the space in the tight standard engine bar of a Tiger.

If blowing it were really needs then cutting the inner wings, firewalls or moving the rad would have all give room for a single blower setup "close" to the carb inlet.

I have seen alot of these twin blown V8's on sites and "none" have the blower/s what must be 6+ feet from the carb they are feeding. Plus the turbos look pretty big, which will only add further to the slow slow (in Geological time) lag.

Yep I race a bit and my current project when finished would be lapping this in a few laps.

I did not mean to be nasty or agressive - the install just seem Wrong (a close by single turbo or maybe better supercharger would have made more sense).

Oh and a Ford 377 if well built (chucking cash at it) could yield 600bhp in normally aspirated form, which would be way more than even a tweeked Tiger chassis could handle (at least in any setting with "Bends").

tata.

Jelly

Hi Slow ;)

fasttiger
Jerry Porsch
Las Cruces, New Mexico
(78 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 29, 2010 07:41PM

WOW!!!!!! Most neg. post I have heard about my setup, but no offense taken.
This is the age of new technolgy and trust me I'm old school and had my doubts about how it was going to work.
In this new age the turbo's can be sized to your app. and the new fuel managment systems like my F.A.S.T system the tuner can do a lot with timing and fuel. Also the setup like I have is used only for street and drag racing and also with the big cubic inch motor and using the two step setup set at 3600 rpm's it gets about 3-4lbs of boost and if the track is preped good it 60' foots in the high 1:40's and low 1:50's
When you suggest a 377 ci motor can make 600 at the crank and that would be at sea level and would be a tall deck motor and like you said "chucking cash at it". I'm not saying I don't have some money in the motor but I had to barter and sell to get this motor and was very luck'y to have a couple of sponsers to help me out.
As far as the rear supension the car still has the leaf springs and drag shocks and home made cal-tracs with 26x1050x15 M/T ET streets.
Race weight is about 3006 I just lost 14lbs due to gall bladder surgery LOL
Thanks
PS when is drag racing not real racing, there is alot more to it if you've never done 9:55 @143mph in a 88" wheel base car in a 1/4 mile
I did the autocross and ran the car at sebring. Just enjoy the street driving and drag racing more

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 11:01PM by fasttiger.

jellison
Jon Ellison

(52 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 30, 2010 03:00AM

Good come back Jerry. Top man.

I thought about a Tiger at one point, but like you say they can run a bit heavy and hard to get that weight out.

I'll have fun (eek) with 84.5"'s in my Griff with Silly power.

It must be fun on the Street.

Any videos?

fasttiger
Jerry Porsch
Las Cruces, New Mexico
(78 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 30, 2010 06:20PM

Jon there are some video's on You Tube under "Jerry's Twin Turbo Tiger" and there is being a video done from the last No Bull I raced in.
What motor do you have in the Giffin?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.