Rootes Group Cars

a place for Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Singer, and Talbot performance enthusiasts

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

mylocker
federico de leon

(5 posts)

05/21/2011 05:57PM

Main British Car:

plan to V8 my alpine...with a 5 liter also change suspension to...
Posted by: mylocker
Date: May 21, 2011 06:01PM

i plan to change suspension i have a 1989 complete front and rear suspension from my old 5.0 mustang....can it be done? it would have great steering and handling i theorize.

socorob
Robbie
La
(173 posts)

09/17/2009 04:42PM

Main British Car:
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series 2 Ford 2.8 V6

Re: plan to V8 my alpine...with a 5 liter also change suspension to...
Posted by: socorob
Date: May 22, 2011 01:20PM

There may be some debate as to an alpine already handling better than an 80s mustang. Dales makes a new front crossmember that's supposed to be rally good, but it doesn't come cheap.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Re: plan to V8 my alpine...with a 5 liter also change suspension to...
Posted by: mgbreis
Date: May 25, 2011 10:44PM

Man, I'm usually the last one to say no, but this is a bad idea. There is simply no way to "change" the front and rear suspensions out for the mustang parts. The difference in track width is huge, and that alone makes the use of anything but the front spindles/hubs/brakes next to impossible. Add to that that the mustang has a strut based front suspension, and I don't even know where you'd start. Yes, you could use the rear axle if you narrowed it, but realistically it's too heavy and bulky for the alpine. You'd be better off with an 8" ford. And the rear springs would be WAY too stiff for an alpine, and the trailing arms way to long/heavy. As for the 5.0 in the Alpine, I'm sure it has been done, but again this requires major reworking of the firewall etc. Google the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club of America, check out the modified alpine forum. Ask a few questions. Good luck!

I have a Hillman Husky, same chassis and suspension as an Alpine. I'm using an Alpine series v front suspension with ventilated gm rotors and gm metric calipers. Its a good suspension, although I'd like to replace the steering box with a rack someday.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.