Rootes Group Cars

a place for Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Singer, and Talbot performance enthusiasts

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Hillman Husky update (finally!)
Posted by: mgbreis
Date: May 14, 2012 02:36PM

Well, it's been three years since I bought this heap of rust. I spent a year fixing the rust, then had to shelve it until jan. this year due to our purchase of a house that needed (still needs) lots of work. If only I could clone myself. I had to make my own panels, and while not quite perfect I'm pretty happy considering I'm NOT a pro. But I'm confident the rust has been "fixed" i.e. cut out and replaced, not just scabbed over. The rear quarters were replaced with sections from Nissan Altima fenders and they seem to be fairly smooth. There is no way I'm going to get this thing perfectly straight, but it will look pretty good in light blue. Here's where I'm at, with everything in epoxy primer. I have just a few spots to touch up with a skim of filler, then it's on to the high build 2k primer. Lot's of work!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/mgbreis/hillman1.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/mgbreis/hillman2.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Hillman Husky update (finally!)
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 14, 2012 11:14PM

I remember the before pics not long after you bought that Ryan. It's come a long way. Great work!

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 14, 2012 11:16PM

Absolutely georgous Ryan, can't wait to see it in the flesh so to speak, hope we can get together when I head up to Omaha this fall to make arrangements for V8 2013.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: May 15, 2012 10:20PM

Thanks guys! Sure think Bill, we'll have to get together. I'm headed to KC on thurs. for a baseball game - go Royals!

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: May 16, 2012 01:51AM

That is going to be such a cool ride Ryan.
Nice work.
Cheers
Fred

twowheeler63
Mark Davis
Paola, KS
(3 posts)

07/19/2012 08:32PM

Main British Car:
1958 Hillman Minx Convertible, 1980 MGB 1400cc, 1800cc

Posted by: twowheeler63
Date: July 20, 2012 05:42PM

I just joined and stumbled across the original posting, and liked what I saw. I have a 99 Chevy Cavalier with the 2.4 that's getting pretty rusty and just this summer got the 59 Minx convertible that was my first driver. My parents owned it. I tried to convince the wife to put the 2.4 in her 80 MGB that needs overhauled, but she says no. So, maybe my Minx.
Anyway, the progress looks very good. I hope to see it done someday as I guess you're across a state line from me.

Next year, we plan on getting the wife a Chevrolet HHR, but I'm trying to talk her into a Husky. I just love those little wagon/panels.

I wish you good luck on your project, but it appears you have it under control. Keep us posted with pics when you can.
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.