Rootes Group Cars

a place for Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Singer, and Talbot performance enthusiasts

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Bratfink
James Bratby
Indianapolis
(12 posts)

09/29/2010 04:05PM

Main British Car:
66 MkIV Singer Vogue Estate 1725 (with Alpine S5 twin carb)

Singer Vogue Estate Project
Posted by: Bratfink
Date: August 07, 2013 12:01PM

Hi All,

Just thought I'd drop a thread about the project I have been planning for a while and finally got round to starting.

To be honest I haven't really thought through all the issues yet I will be taking a bit more of a linear engineering approach, but the basic goal is as follows:

2L turbo engine.
Manual transmission.
Independant rear end.
4 wheel disc brakes.

This might happen incrimentally since each of the goals is quite large on this chassis, for instance I will probably end up having to custom make a front subframe to fit around the engine and reset all the steering.

I don't expect it to turn out nearly as nice as Ryan's or Mike's first time round, but I'll give it a good shot.
100_3789_small.jpg
100_3791_small.jpg
100_3794_small.jpg

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Singer Vogue Estate Project
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 07, 2013 12:29PM

Wow - that's very cool!

I'm certain I've never seen a Singer Vogue before.

Bratfink
James Bratby
Indianapolis
(12 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 14, 2013 02:12PM

I was told by a Rootes group club memeber in UK that there are only 11 known Vogue Estates left. Probably a few more of the saloon. It's basically the same as the Humber Sceptre or the Hillman Super Minx. I have seen a few Super Minx over here for sale in recent years (even an estate or 2). So you might be familiar with the body style, if not the name.

Original engine was the 1725 twin stromberg, just like the Series 5 Alpine.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: August 23, 2013 10:08AM

Neat project James! Love the engine choice, and of course I'm a fan of any "unique" british car! Unlike Curtis who has never seen a Singer Vogue before, I'm pretty sure I've never even heard of one. The engine bay looks really similar to my Husky, although I can see a few differences. Is it basically the same floor pan and front suspension as an Alpine?

I'd really like to hear more of your plans for an IRS. The leaf sprung 8.8 in my Husky is the shortcoming of the entire car, and I've been thinking about a 3 or 4 link suspension. I've been REALLY unmotivated all summer to do anything to the car other than drive it.

Bratfink
James Bratby
Indianapolis
(12 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 03, 2013 08:45AM

The engine choice wasn't my first and has definitely upped the ante on the project. Since the 4G63T was never a RWD engine I am having to get a custom bell housing made to fit it to a T5 (trans options are limited). Beyond that I have to spend quite some time reconfiguring things like the cooling system to run a front rad and have the thermostat at the front etc (it's all at the back on a 4G63).

First choice would have been a Cosworth YBB, but those seem kinda scarce over here! Although as luck would have it after I decided on the 4G63T (and more importantly spent some money) one popped up for sale in the US!!! Grrr.

The Vogue is based on the same platform as the Humber Sceptre and the Hillman Super Minx. The platform was a size upgrade on the Hillman Minx from which your Husky was derived. Your platform is called the "Series" and the Vogues platform is called the "Super". There are similarities between both and they used most of the same engines and even some running gear.

Depends on which Alpine you are talking about (There are 4 to choose from!). Running gear wise the MkIV Vogue is almost identical to the Series V Sunbeam Alpine (the roadster). Chassis wise it is closer to the Super Minx. The early Alpine is more like the Rapier and is also based on the "Series" chassis (there is an even earlier version too). The Late Alpine is an "Audax" chassis, there is a Vogue version of that as well and the year of mine might confuse matters since they switched to the Audax chassis Vogue in 66 for the Saloon model, but the Estate stayed as a "Super" chassis for another year. Easy huh?

Bratfink
James Bratby
Indianapolis
(12 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 03, 2013 09:58AM

By the way, project update:

I have purchased a T5 that will become the trans for this car. Next step is to get the bell housing made and using the trans case and short block I can start the final fit section of the engine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.