Rootes Group Cars

a place for Sunbeam, Hillman, Humber, Singer, and Talbot performance enthusiasts

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

arhowell
Andrew Howell

(1 posts)

04/30/2020 03:53PM

Main British Car:

1949 Mk II Humber Super Snipe
Posted by: arhowell
Date: May 01, 2020 04:44AM

Hello
Would anyone be able to help me locate a sun roof panel for a 1949 Mk II Humber Super Snipe

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: 1949 Mk II Humber Super Snipe
Posted by: rficalora
Date: May 03, 2020 08:32AM

I'm not familiar with Humbers but aftermarket sunroofs were pretty common in the '70s. Do you know if yours was a factory item or an aftermarket one added at some point?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: 1949 Mk II Humber Super Snipe
Posted by: Moderator
Date: May 05, 2020 02:15PM

I've said it before here, but I'll say it again: I think "Super Snipe" must surely be one of the best model names ever given to a car. Those early Mk1 and Mk2 versions are so very handsome, too. You have exquisite taste, and I hope you'll post photos!

I believe in this case, by "sunroof" you're probably referring to a lift-out steel panel that was painted to match the rest of the body. (You'd stow it in the boot when not in use.) If that's what you're looking for, I expect your best bet is to have one custom fabricated. Even if you manage to find an original one, it's likely to require some bodywork to make it usable. (It might best serve as a pattern for having one custom-made.)

The aftermarket sunroofs Rob referred to were often installed by dealerships or custom shops. Many different materials and mechanisms were used. "Rag tops" were apparently especially popular. I vaguely remember being told there were eight competing manufacturers (or trade names, at least). Webasto, Britax, Hollandia, WeatherShield, and Tilt-n-Slide come to mind. [www.slidingragtops.com] seems like a good place to learn more about some of those.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.