jimmy8
Jim Mendoza

(7 posts)

04/07/2009 06:42PM

Main British Car:

sebring front valance ??
Posted by: jimmy8
Date: August 01, 2009 07:58AM

about to give the mg a facelift with some sebring valances and omni flares. looking through the gallery at some of the cars that have had this done, i noticed that often the front valance is widened a couple of inches in order so that it flows into the flares better. In all the examples the valance was metal, which i thought strange seeing as i´ve only ever been able to find fibreglass ones.
After having looked at Mike Alexanders ´how it was done´´, i see that the 73-74 valance that he used look remarkably similar to the sebring.
Is this what people having been using? Is it indeed identical to the sebring (other than the two outer air intakes) ? I know bonding fibreglas to metal is a bit of a pain, but surely getting the metal to a good finish can´t be much easier?
thanks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2009 08:13AM by jimmy8.

avbates
Tony Bates
San Jose California
(25 posts)

03/22/2008 12:16PM

Main British Car:
74 MGB roadster 4.2 litre Rover

Re: sebring front valance ??
Posted by: avbates
Date: August 01, 2009 12:03PM

I have an aluminum front valance from MG Motorsports in the UK
P1010037.JPG

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: August 01, 2009 12:10PM

British Motor Heritage offers an aluminum valance that's four inches lower than stock as part of their competition program. Last I heard, it was about $800.

[www.britishv8.org]

Here's a snapshot:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/BritishMotorHeritage/BMH-Witney-Y.jpg

jimmy8
Jim Mendoza

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 04, 2009 07:19AM

thanks, those are both pretty nice. what i was really wondering is, as in the firt pic the valance widens to join the arches. if this was neccesary when using omni arches.
like the BMH valance, very clean if not expensive.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 05, 2009 05:50PM

Jim, you don't "need" to tie the valance to the fenders due to omni flares. When i put my flares on, i had them taper out right at the bend where the valance bolts on so they look like they were always there. Now, if you're not going to run a front bumper, then using a metal valance & blending it across the front & fenders is definitely the way to go. It really makes for a finished job.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: August 06, 2009 02:16PM

Jim, I'd be very leery about having a bonded fiberglass to metal joint at that point because of flex issues which would probably cause cracking very quickly. A welded metal to metal joint is quite another matter. As Rob said, using the Omni flares they should taper into the fenders just above the fender to valance joint anyway so no modification to the valance should be necessary.

jimmy8
Jim Mendoza

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 10, 2009 05:12PM

cheers. thats good news. had they needed to be widened then blended in there would have been no way i could have used fibrelass. as it is i might have a look to see if there might be a way of fixing them independently but in line, with only a fine amount of filer to blend them in.
and if that doesnt work i´ll have to stop being such a cheapsate and buy a metal version!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.