philadelphia
(1 posts)

09/07/2009 08:12PM

Main British Car:
1966 austin healey sprite

motor and trans
Posted by: dres66healey
Date: September 07, 2009 08:36PM

i have a 1966 austin healey sprite i want to put a motor and trans in it without having to change the rear axle rear brakes and front mainly keeping everything the same just putting a different motor and trans in it do anyone out there have any suggestion please get back to me asap

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: motor and trans
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: September 08, 2009 10:27AM

Andre, there are several small 4 cylinder engines that can be used that don't put out too much torque so that the stock rear axle could be used if you drive it easy but remember it's an axle that was originally designed to work with a 950cc engine that put out very little torque and horsepower. Add very much and you can easily break something if you drive it hard.
Even guys with stock 1275s or 1500s may snap an axle shaft from time to time. Most guys that swap engines also change the rear axle just for reliability and to enjoy the extra power they have to the fullest. Check out the 4 cylinder cars shown in the MG and Austin Healey photo area as well as these that aren't featured on the British V8 Newsletter site. [www.ado13.com] [the-mite.com] [home.earthlink.net]
Those should give you a good idea of what you can do and what components most use and recommend.
As for front brakes, the original brakes will do pretty well with uprated pads such as EBC green or yellow stuff and the rest of the system kept up in good condition and adjustment. The only relatively easy upgrade is to slightly larger Spitfire rotors and MGB calipers for a larger pad area but that does require some maching work and modification to the steering rack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.