Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Wow, the forum is a lot more colorful with ads "turned on"!
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 08, 2008 03:13AM

In case you're curious, I decided to put banner ads on the message board to:
(a) be a bonus / reward for sponsors who bought ad space in the "winter" Newsletter issue, and
(b) take a step toward "monetizing" the message board. (The old text ads hardly paid at all.)

I find myself hitting my web browser's "refresh" button just to cycle through and see all the ads! They're pretty nifty, aren't they? Anyway, I'm curious to hear comments if you have them. I'll be making some adjustments to how they display and are distributed... Is it annoying to see the same ad three or four times on one page?

Richl705
Richard Lilly
Fairfax, Virginia
(42 posts)

12/03/2007 10:48PM

Main British Car:
1958 MGA Buick 215 V8

authors avatar
Re: Wow, the forum is a lot more colorful with ads "turned on"!
Posted by: Richl705
Date: March 10, 2008 09:06PM

I have not been seeing any ads. What am I doing wrong? Richard

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: March 11, 2008 11:56AM

On any of the sub-forum pages (where "thread" titles are listed) a vendor's banner ad should appear after every ninth thread title. Within threads, a vendor's banner ad should appear after every sixth message... they won't appear unless the thread has at least six messages on the page. If the thread has more than twenty messages, it will span more than one page. Please let me know if you're still not seeing any ads... I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be seeing them. (They're not something that a "pop-up blocker" would delete, or anything like that.)

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: May 31, 2008 03:31AM

Perhaps something around here seems different, but you're not sure what. You may be noticing a shake-up in how we sell and display banner ads. Here on the message board, we were randomly shuffling though 21 or 22 different banners, and we weren't charging vendors anything for that.

Now, we're still picking and displaying ads randomly, but the pool is down to just four vendors for the time being. These four early-birds have gotten in on a great deal! They're only paying $50/month for a whole lot of exposure. Also, that exposure isn't just here. The randomized ad assignment program is now starting up on the main British V8 site.

Vendors (and individuals) are still invited to sponsor particular articles for just $40/year (most cases.) The difference is that now "un-sponsored" articles will automatically be assigned ads from the pool of vendors described above. Also, page formats are changing to make ads more prominent throughout the site. Watch for the changes, and let me know by private message if you have comments or questions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.