(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Doing business in the UK
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: October 24, 2009 10:17PM

First let me say, it isn't my desire to alienate those of us in, or from, the UK; I've taken great pride in my own British ancestry and I'm pretty sure my ancestor's had nothing to do with this. I have discussed this with Curtis but held off making this post hoping the situation could be resolved. It is important it does not happen someone else. I sent two MGB tachometers to a repair facility in the UK to be wired to work with an electronic ignition and be V8 friendly. When the two inoperative tachs got to the UK a rather excessive import fee was placed on them and held by British Customs. I tried to point out that no one sold them, no one bought them, and they were sent there for repair not import. For the past three months I have not been successful in having the tachs returned to me. I haven't included the name of the facility because it didn't cause this, however he has not refunded the payment for work he didn't do. Just a thought, do what you will, but I for one, will not do business outside the US again.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Re: Doing business in the UK
Date: October 25, 2009 11:33AM

PS: I wanted to keep the dash looking MG but have decided to move on to the electronic world.

djw090
David Witham
Warwick UK
(115 posts)

06/12/2008 11:20AM

Main British Car:
MGB 1974 and MG ZT 160 turbo 2005

Posted by: djw090
Date: October 27, 2009 09:45AM

I am sorry you have had problems.

There is a scheme that allows machines to be brought into the UK for maintenance and than re-exported with out a tax loss along the way. Some years ago I was involved with repairing such things with tunnelling machines for customers outside the UK. We looked after the Customs clearance and duty issues for our customers as in the first instance it is the party the goods are on consignment to who have the liability for the duty and VAT. If I remember correctly, the duty liability was deferred and credited out when the machine left the UK again. The liability would only have crystallised if the goods were not re-exported.

These matters are often handled for you by a freight forwarding agent, generally the carrier you used. One of the problems that arises is with low value items when the cost of navigating the system, such as the freight forwarding agent's fees, are high relative to the value of the goods involved.

While you have not placed any blame at the door of the people who were going to do the work for you, I suspect part of the problem is that they are not properly prepared for conducting international trade.

Many of the countries I used to deal with would have thrown up similar problems in this case.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2009 08:56AM

Thanks David. I'm not happy with the repair facility and feel they should refund my payment or at least return my emails, but there is little I can legally do, at least from here. I've not named the person because I respect this site, its members, and the reason we all keep returning to read about and help each other. If someone asks me in a private message who it was I'll share but think it's probably inappropriate to do it on the site and counter productive to our purpose. I've decided to move on and use aftermarket electronic instruments rather than deal with plumbing and a speedometer cable. My T-Bucket Roadster has Dolphin (without the fish) and they work pretty well. Again, thanks!!

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: November 01, 2009 11:42AM

Paul,

Honorable and well spoken !

Keep them on the track,

Phillip G

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 01, 2009 12:22PM

Thanks Phillip.

Paul

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 29, 2010 08:04PM

You won't believe this, but the local PostPerson just returned my Tach's. I guess UK Customs got tired of them setting around taking up space. I still didn''t get my money back from the insturement shop person, but at least he didn't get them too. I still plan to continue with plan B and use aftermarket.

"P"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.