Linden, MI
(14 posts)

08/10/2008 11:37AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB-V8 3.5 Rover V8

I want to B Tubbed!
Posted by: scottsgretch
Date: August 11, 2008 06:01PM

I am ready to put my Rover 3.5 in my B, however, now i have the bug to 'tub' the rear. Has anyone done this and know what i should look out for in the process? I did notice that Henry Byrd's B in Georgia is tubbed but don't know how to contact him.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Scott

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: I want to B Tubbed!
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 12, 2008 11:47AM

I guess you've noticed that there are more flares than tubs. The reason is that it's easier, naturally. But how much easier is the real question here. To flare you are dealing with the fender/inner fender seam, and the center inner fender seam and that's about it. To tub, you've got the center seam plus the unibody frame rails, fuel tank, center bulkhead, trunk floor and more, including the frame dogleg. Honestly I'm not sure how you could do it without building a subframe. Maybe I'm wrong about that and for your sake I hope so. But you can get up to a 315 tire under the fender with a somewhat radical flare, how much rubber were you planning on?

Jim

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: August 12, 2008 02:46PM

I would think, due to the unibody construction of the 'b, it would be a pretty big project. Instead of trying to work around everything, it might make more sense to cut out everything from the rear bulkhead back and construct a tube frame and custom sheet metal. After all that, the 'b is already pretty narrow, you've essentially just created and inline skate. Flares would let you use bigger rubber and still give you a car that can handle. What do you plan to do with the car?

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: August 17, 2008 12:17PM

Example of a tubbed MGB on ebay
[cgi.ebay.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.