(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Engine Bay Prep
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: November 20, 2009 07:00AM

I know there is a lot of rust to deal with but after all its 37 years old; when I was 37 I was a starting to rust a little too. Now it's time to start preparing the engine bay for the 302 and I have a question. A friend has suggested it would look much cleaner if the lip on the upper inside frame rail (see arrow in picture) was removed and welded. Is there a structural reason it should not be removed? We have a complete fabrication and welding facility and know to do it in sections and not grind the entire lip off at one time. Still, is it Ok to do this.
Picture 040.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Engine Bay Prep
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: November 20, 2009 08:37AM

You'll lose some structural strength in the process since you are removing about 20% of a vertical member along with an additional stiffener or doubler. It would be far better to box the top by adding a plate to it if you desire a smooth appearance. Just use the same gage sheet metal as used in the rest of the body.

Jim

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 20, 2009 05:56PM

I'm going off memory, but if i recall, the frame rail is made in sections... a u-chanel on top & bottom & plate on the sides (two layers at least in some areas)... with the side plate spot welded to the short verticles on the u-chanel... so, if you cut off the lip you're cutting the vertical plate off the top u-channel.

I'd go with either Jim's suggestion to box it in or, frankly, just leave it. Once you get the engine & ancilaries in there you'll hardly notice it.

Depending on where you put the motor, you may need to cut a slot in the u-channel & bend the veritcal plates over to make about 1/4" extra room on each side (I can send you pics of that on mine) so whatever you do, at least do a trial fit of the motor before you decide how to handle it.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 22, 2009 11:58AM

Thanks guys, I was a little concerned about it and think you're correct, so I think I'll just leave it. The picture you offered would be a great help Rob if it's not too much trouble. As for engine position I'm assuming centered from side to side but the pictures I'v seen have been taken from an angle. Should the pan be almost touching the steering rack and the balancer right above it or should the steering rack fit between the balancer and lower pully?

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: November 22, 2009 12:24PM

Here's what I did... not necessary unless you're putting the motor lower & further back (clipping the corners of the firewall by the heater shelf to enable)...

Cut this part out...
2006-04-20 Rail Modifications for Motor Width Clearance 002.jpg

Then bend the rail over & weld up the seam...
2006-04-20 Rail Modifications for Motor Width Clearance 006.jpg

I did the same on both sides.

smelfi
Steve Melfi
Alexandria Ohio
(90 posts)

04/26/2008 07:35AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB 302

authors avatar
Posted by: smelfi
Date: November 23, 2009 07:53AM

I did the same as Rob but only on the drivers side so as to get clearance for the remote oil filter adapter. I didn't bend over the rail though, I cut it so about an eighth of an inch was left, then welded it. Tools used - rotozip, sawsall, grinder, hammer. mig welder.

Steve

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 23, 2009 12:12PM

Thanks guys, that helps me to understand. I'm lucky enough to have a complete machine shop with MIG and TIG as well as a CNC table where I can cut out anything I can draw; we also have milling machines, a lathe, and can form sheetmetal. I'm not the best machinest in the world, and a worst bodyman, but what I can't do my friends here can. I'm really excited about putting life back into my GT, and in return maybe it will put a little life back into me. Thanks again for the pictures Rob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.