(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
true dual exhaust
Posted by: mindseye
Date: November 21, 2009 12:31AM

Any advice on installing dual exhausts....I got the 2 into ones on 215 buick but would like duals since I have the edelbrock 500cfm carb/performer intake...bet it would flow even better with duals...looks tight under there ...will they fit/..problems/ etc....like the look of pipes out the side front of rear wheel wells too...thnx.

Bruce Mills
Bruce Mills
Vancouver Canada
(71 posts)

11/28/2007 09:31PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB Roadster 3.5 Rover

authors avatar
Re: true dual exhaust
Posted by: Bruce Mills
Date: November 21, 2009 01:11AM

On my 74.5 MGB Rover 3.5 with block hugger headers I centered the gas tank and ran the exhaust pipes thru the recess in the tranny cross member, over the axle along each side of the tank and straight out the back. I left @ 1" between the floor boards and the mufflers.
The electrical and gas line were moved to the outside edge of the car.

The problem with the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels as I see it is what ever comes out of the exhaust will end up on the rear wheels. If you are sitting idling then the exhaust will come almost straight up.

But I like the look of it

Bruce

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: November 21, 2009 08:14AM

John, My V8 exhaust exits out in front of the rear wheels. The mufflers run under the front floor pan and pipes exit from a 45 degree pipe with a 45 degree angle. they extend about 2-3" from the lower rocker pinch weld. three are no fumes or leakage when stopped. the sound is not loud since it exits behind the driver. The pipe is not pointed at the tire.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: November 21, 2009 10:03AM

And then there's Joe Schafer's approach............
[www.britishv8.org]

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 21, 2009 11:11AM

thnx....I really like the side pipe look and have those on my old dodge truck...I don't notice any gassing in cab so I will likely go that route...the exterior side pipes I think ruin the look of the car and I want to avoid having to move so much stuff underneath

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: November 21, 2009 11:52PM

I used to have the pipes exiting in front of my tires. I don't think it's very realistic to worry about exhaust (heat or fluid) harming traction unless your engine blows up, but I did have the pipes rather close to the front leaf spring mountings and I worried just a little about heat damaging the rubber bushes. When the exhaust pointed out the side, I actually did notice the echo of my exhaust off of buildings as I drove through town. It was kinda weird how my exhaust volume seemed to go up and down where there were gaps between buildings. In theory, I like the idea of centering my fuel tank and having the exhaust exit on either side of it, but that's a fair amount of work and the extra pipe is dead weight. Besides having to get the pipes past the axle, they'd also have to get past my Panhard rod.

I prefer the way I have my exhaust now: simply pointing at the ground, back behind the seats. So simple. So light. I might also mention that Kurt Schley came to the same conclusion. He went from side exhaust to exhaust just like mine.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CurtisJacobson/CurtisJacobson-ED.jpg

mindseye
John Csuhany
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 28, 2009 12:34AM

If anyone can send pics of their side exit installs I would really appreciate it.....thnx

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: November 28, 2009 09:54PM

Curtis, now it echos from the ground :-)

Dual exhaust does not have to be separated on their own side. dual exhaust can be togther on one side and exit so that it can echo from the buildings or the ground. NASCAR cars have both pipes exit on one side. Several reasons why they exit on side only.

Cut-0uts (curtis exhaust) used to be very popular in the 60's and 70's. One reason was, they could be removed at the drag strip and put back to drive. I lost so many header collector gaskets or broke them. I used to carry spares in the glove box.

eventually changed to the slip on collector with two bolts.
DSCF1099.JPG

mindseye
John Csuhany
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 29, 2009 01:29AM

I like that!!.....it is how I set up my truck with pipes coming put in front of wheel but this is even better

mindseye
John Csuhany
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 16, 2009 09:56PM

Going to go with the duals out front of wheels, bought cherry bombs 3.5" dia....will let ya all know how it pans out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.