Frederick, Colorado
(2 posts)

03/24/2009 02:28PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGB Ford 289

World Class T5 electronic speedo drive
Posted by: scottncon
Date: November 22, 2009 07:24PM

Hello all. I am currently about to rebuild the transmission for my V8 project. It's a Ford WC T5 from an '88 Mustang. My transmission did NOT come with any kind of speedometer hookup, just a hole you can look down inside and see an output gear. Since I intend to install aftermarket gauges, I would prefer to have an electronic speedometer for ease of adjustability if I decide later to change gear ratios or got with different sized wheels. Question: What do I need to make my transmission output an electronic signal? I've read about some cars that came with them from the factory, but which ones? Can I buy a part off the shelf that will work for me? My searches for VSS's (vehicle speed sensors) for the T5 have got me nowhere. Somebody here must know what I'm after. Please help!!

Thanks so much

Scott

P.S. Great website!
006.JPG

jbarila
John Barilaro
Red Sox Nation!
(60 posts)

11/02/2007 08:29AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Ford 302/5L

Re: World Class T5 electronic speedo drive
Posted by: jbarila
Date: November 23, 2009 08:43AM

HI Scott,
All the guage companies sell adapter kits to change from mechanical to electronic speedometers. I suggest a programable speedometer, they are much easier to get the speed correct.
The senders look like this:

[http://www.vehiclecontrols.com/shopping/shop650/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=52#]

340-013 VDO Sender, for Ford Electronic, Programmable Speedometers, plug-in, Standard Hall Effect with 16 Pulse, 7/8 - 18 NPT

340-014 VDO Sender, for Ford Electronic, Programmable Speedometers, plug-in, Through Drive (for Cruise Control), Hall Effect with 16 Pulse, 7/8 - 18 NPT

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: November 23, 2009 09:33AM

Here's a Mustang VSS example from ebay.........it looks to be for a T5 but could be for auto trans)
[cgi.ebay.com]

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: November 23, 2009 12:23PM

John and Graham have good sugestions, and another source is EZ Wiring. We get Pulse Generators from them for our T-Buckets. I think we pay about $50.00 for them but with todays economy it could be a little more.

Dave
David Gable
Jax
(112 posts)

10/23/2007 05:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Dave
Date: November 23, 2009 06:53PM

I use a VDO signal generator to feed the VDO programable speedo in my GT. Easy and accurate.

MGB SS
Joe Schafer
Central Michigan
(150 posts)

10/23/2007 06:46AM

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Posted by: MGB SS
Date: November 26, 2009 09:30PM

I used a factory unit just check at parts store maybe a 90 mustang seemed like it was $30 or so.. Ford had some that had both the electronic and the cable in one unit but the all electronic one is cheaper and what you are looking for

scottncon
Scott Wooley
Frederick, Colorado
(2 posts)

03/24/2009 02:28PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGB Ford 289

Posted by: scottncon
Date: November 29, 2009 12:43PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm still a little confused. Here's two examples for ebay for instance:

[cgi.ebay.com]

[cgi.ebay.com]

The first part, removed from an '89 Mustang, has what I would likely expect...some kind of gear on the end. The other part doesn't have one, yet they claim to both fit the same application. Obviously one of them is incorrect. Are you supposed to install your old gear onto the new part? I DON'T HAVE AN OLD PART!! I don't know what it is supposed to look like. More importantly, I am going to be tearing the transmission down for a complete rebuild in a few days. If I reassemble it only to discover I have to change to speedo drive gear to "something else" (Like a toothed gear for hall effect) I'll wish I would have done it while it was apart. Also, FWIW I don't like dealing with the typical parts guy down at Autozone. I would MUCH rather find what I need online, and shop the way I think shopping should be done- from my house!

Thanks so much

Scott

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: November 29, 2009 01:25PM

Scott, you will need the gear that goes inside the trans. This gear will have an adpater for a cable (square drive) the Generator with the correct pulses will connect to the gear in the trans via a square drive and screws into the trans.
Some Pulse generators have a gear build in on them, it all depends on which one you purchase.
Some factory pulse generators will not work with aftermarket speedo's due to the different pulses that the generator puts out.

The EZ wiring and others have 3 wires, black, white and red. red is a 12v, black is a ground (it must be a good ground) and white feeds the speedo, this wire soimetimes is orange or brown.

There are some 2 wire generators, but this have been replace by the newer type which has 3 wires.

The main thing is to have a good ground for the pulse generator.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: November 29, 2009 04:39PM

Bill is absolutely correct about the ground. I have a 700R4 in my T-Bucket and use the Chevy pulse generator. No matter what I do, which has included replacing both the speedometer and the generator helps. It reads about 20mph setting in park at idle and 140mph when I give it any gas at all, still in park. EZ-Wiring keeps telling me it's the ground, which I've been over numerous times, and that the Chevy 2 wire generator will work. Now I'll admit, most of us Bucket drivers could care less how fast we're going, but I want my 302 powered BGT to be a little more refined and I'm about in the same position with my build. I keep getting told one wire from the generator goes to a really good ground and the other wire goes to the speedometer. They also keep telling me it doesn’t matter which wire goes where. I suspect this is the problem, but what do I know! Keep us posted on how you're doing with this because you're not rowing this boat by yourself.

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Posted by: crashbash
Date: November 30, 2009 03:35PM

I have a WC T-5 from a camero with electronic sensor for speed. Does this work well with aftermarket speedos? Could this have been the right way to start? By mistake of course.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.