(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
Header Exhausts
Posted by: mindseye
Date: December 03, 2009 08:37PM

has anyone used or has info on installing header mufflers?... like these 'purple hornies by holley.... cherry bombs also makes em.....seems to be a easy fix for a dual exhaust on mgb's for side exit, ground dump or just run connector pipes all the way to the back and out one side
large50230FLT.jpg
large50232FLT.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Header Exhausts
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 06, 2009 07:38AM

What's the problem you're trying to address with these? If you're looking to gain an bit of ground clearnace, check out chambered exhaust. Look at the pics of Steve Carrick's car in the gallery; that's where I first saw them used. You can order just about any dimension you want in terms of input & output pipe size & length. [www.classicchambered.com]

Merv
Merv Hagen
IL
(104 posts)

05/21/2008 05:48PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Buick 215 T-5 Trans

Posted by: Merv
Date: December 06, 2009 04:25PM

John, I have been following your questions, regarding your Exhaust system. There are so many good examples on this web site, (How it was done or Picture Gallery) that you can spend weeks checking them out.

I for one, have always thought that British cars should have Dual Exhaust that exit as a pair. Centered, too one side or out the side by the rear wheel, it doesn’t really matter, they should still exit together. Think Healey or early XKE's. (Exhaust Fetish, is that a Category?)

When I was looking for Exhaust ideas, I would search through picture gallery and when I found interesting exhaust pictures, I would save to a file,
I found Fast Cars had some great examples [www.fastcarsinc.com] and I fell in love with Bob Elwin's Exhaust system [www.britishv8.org] Pete Mantell did the Exhaust system on my MGB and I am very pleased with the results [www.britishv8.org].

I guess that what I'm saying is that if you can't find an exhaust configuration on this web site that you like, it probably doesn’t exist.

If you should decide to try Chambered Exhaust as Rob Suggested,(www.classicchambered.com) please let me know how it works out.

I thought the pictures of your car looked great. What final Axle ratio did you choose? Posi-traction?

Merv

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 07, 2009 12:31PM

beautiful car Merv! and your exhaust definetly gives me some ideas, as did Bob's beautiful system, its so neat it hurts....I also checked out the chambered exhaust and those look really good too, takes up same space as pipes...wow now I really need to discuss this with my exhuast installer and see what works best.....thnx for all the ideas....will get back to you on ratio, I purchased the car with the drivetrain already in and do not have any tags on axle so trying to figure that one out myself...the car pulls pretty good in lower end so I am guessing a higher than lower ratio

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: December 08, 2009 02:13PM

I mimicked Steve's on my exhaust -- except I got them just a little longer. After the chambered tubes, it turns up through the IRS & out the back with dual pipes (centered tank). Plan is for twin tips on each side coming through the rear valance (sebring).

The cool thing with chambered exhaust is you can order them any length you want. Longer is quieter but don't get them too long -- unless you're going under the rear axle, you need enough room to turn up over the axle.

There's a reasonably priced ceramic coater right near my house so I had them coated to keep heat transfer down too. My car is a work in progress; I haven't fired it up yet. But it is at a body shop getting prepped & painted. I hope to have it back in mid/late Jan so it should be on the road by spring.

Merv
Merv Hagen
IL
(104 posts)

05/21/2008 05:48PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB Buick 215 T-5 Trans

Posted by: Merv
Date: December 08, 2009 11:48PM

John, if you use This Formula ( [efi.moonwell.com] ) you can pretty much figure out what rear axle ratio you have in your car (D&D has a formula that is a bit nicer but I can't find the link). That is assuming that your Tach is fairly accurate. I usually use my GPS to check my speed, as it is a bit more accurate then my speedometer.

I know that there are other ways of finding rear axle ratios, but this works pretty well for me.

You will also need your transmission gear ratios, but you can get a pretty good idea by going to
[www.classicconversionseng.com]

MG CLASSIC CONVERSIONS v6 (Bill Guzman ) is also a BritishV8 member and sponsor.

See what I mean, about all of the great information and sources you can find on this Web site.

Have Fun

Merv

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 09, 2009 10:53AM

Brian Bayer used Purple Hornies: [www.britishv8.org]

All the different mufflers types sound different, so if sound is a priority the choice is a pretty subjective thing. Chambered exhaust tubes sound wonderful, but I think they're pretty pricey. Thrush Turbo's sound like nineteen dollar mufflers installed by some high school kid, but I've grown to really like them. It makes me feel young again to hear them on my MGB.

Have you seen this article already? Muffler Selection, by Larry Shimp

mindseye
John Csuhany
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 11, 2009 01:04AM

Thanks for the info Merv & Curtis...all helps....will post pics when I decide what to do and get it done

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 12, 2009 11:57AM

As Curtis mentioned, exhaust tone is very subjective. Some people don't care if their exhaust note overbearing (too loud) or raspy (Flowmasters). Some people want quiet, some want a bit of growl. Add in that the exhaust sounds different while in the car vs listening to it while someone motors away.

I used to run Cherry Bomb header mufflers on my Camaro. Those cold-rolled steel glasspacks had a great sound (much better than the rectangular suitcase style, IMO). They do get quite louder as the fiberglass wears out. It's my opinion that the 2 & 3 chamber Flowmasters (now on my Camaro) have a raspy note. The chambered tube mufflers that Steve Carrick & Ted Lathrop use sound awesome to me, but they are quite heavy.

I prefer a bit of growl without a loud drone at highway speeds.

Mr. T
Tony Andrews
Kent Island, Maryland
(153 posts)

10/23/2007 03:59PM

Main British Car:
'75 mgb, '74 grille, morspeed bumpers Rover 3.9

authors avatar
Posted by: Mr. T
Date: December 14, 2009 04:49PM

Hey John,

I have block huggers with single exhaust and cherry bomb exiting rear. I can have a normal conversation at highway speeds. I got quite a few positive comments/inquiries (you were one of them Merv) when I attended the 2008 Wisconsin Meet - always get positive feedback at local car shows too. Will change to thru-fender headers when the 4.6 goes in along with duals on same side or separate. Maybe attend 2010 Meet and get some ideas.....you could also bring that girl in your avatar with you....er...maybe not.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: December 14, 2009 10:35PM

Whatda mean maybe,Tony?!

mindseye
John Csuhany
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 16, 2009 09:43PM

Ya she's hot but mine!,mine,mine.......all mine!....don't know if I will get out to your meets.....I am wayyyyyyyy up north here and don't get out that way....this forum is my best resource for info, very few V8 B's in Alberta
KBS-Lartigue-100-LG.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.