(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 08, 2010 11:30PM

Now that Fred schooled me on using relays, I've started thinking more about my doors. The exterior door handles are shaved so right now they can only be opened with the interior pulls. I don't plan to change that till I finish the other odds & ends (like the brakes!) but since I have plenty of time & can't do any other work right now, I thought I'd play with the circuit design. To start with, here's what I'm after...

Circuit should be operational only when I'm in proximity of the car (I have a RF tag type keyless ignition)
From outside, I'll need hidden switches to open the driver's, passenger's, or both doors from the driver's side & passenger's from that side
From the inside, I'll need buttons to open the doors
The buttons/switches will need to be inoperative when the engine is running unless some extra action is taken to enable them
I'll need a button accessible from outside the car in the event the RF system fails

Any "features" I'm missing?

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Re: Wiring solenoids for shaved doors
Date: July 10, 2010 06:09PM

Talked with the company that made the keyless ignition -- good news/bad news. I can sense when the ignition is off (engine not running) -- in hindsight that one was pretty obvious. The bad news was I can't use the keyless ignition box to activate the switches automatically when I come into proximity. When the RF tag is in proximity, the ignition unit does pre-valid it, but it doesn't turn the ignition or either of the accessory circuits on.

But, I did come across an alarm that uses a bluetooth connection to a cell phone to activate/deactivate + automatically lock & unlock the doors as the bluetooth pairing is made or broken. I think I could use the alarm and a latching relay off the lock/unlock to enable the switches.

This will have to wait though because I'm not ready to buy the alarm. For now, I figured out a way to locate some switches behind the body skin that I can activate from outside. For now, the inside will still be mechanical.

pawp
Richard Carr
Louisa VA
(10 posts)

11/26/2008 12:17PM

Main British Car:
1980 MG B Buick 215

Posted by: pawp
Date: July 12, 2010 05:42PM

Go to Watson's Streetworks. They have several versions of what you need. I have used their switches and lights on my and they are first class. Luck

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 12, 2010 07:00PM

Did you use any of their magnetic switches? If so, are they any different than the ones used on a house alarm system for the widnows?

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: July 12, 2010 08:55PM

Now they've done it. They said it can't be done. That just gets my electrons all fired up.
Do you have a wiring diagram and/or in and outputs for your keyless ign?
No promises but with a little wire, some time, thinkin, and a good bottle of scotch.........
Cheers
Fred

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 12, 2010 11:16PM

They don't publish a schematic of the keyless control box but the In's/Outs are here [www.digitalguarddawg.com] and here [www.digitalguarddawg.com]. I have it wired as "type 3" which has 2 accessory circuits. One that stays on while starting & one that shuts off while starting. Per their tech suppor, neither is powered until the button is pressed with the RF tag in range.
It is not really a keyless ignition -- really a RF tag key. Ignition is an MSD 6AL.

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 19, 2010 03:43AM

Hey Rob, sorry for the wait. Got pretty busy around here of late.
What does your unit do if you permanently depress the start button? Does anything switch as you go in and out of transponder range?

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 26, 2010 10:22PM

Hi Rob,
finally figured out how to make your unit work but it's very messy and reliability challenged.
Better, is a new unit that I've used on my TGB. It's a "Scytek precision blue 1000". It recognizes my Blackberry (Bluetooth) phone and unlocks the truck whenever I'm within 10 feet of it. I have it connected to a PLC that enables a push button ign. and start, and or, a remote start or shutdown.
Basically I walk up to the truck and it unlocks and turns off the alarm.
Then in 7 seconds it will auto start unless I defeat the function.
I get in and then proceed to the nearest Scotchy scotch outlet and leave the truck.
Once I'm ten feet away the truck shuts off, locks and the alarm sets.
In manual mode It enables power to the truck, then when I push the now green start button the ign turns on, the second push turns the button yellow and starts the truck. once the alternator is on charge the button turns blue and I'm away.The third push of the button shuts everything off and as I leave it locks and alarms.
Pretty cool I thought. All leading edge and such.
Then I came across "ZWave" technology.
It's intended for home use but if you check it out it's uses for us are astounding.
Control every aspect of you vehicle from your I phone.
And have your house light up and unlock as you pull into your already open garage.
I talked to the Lovely Lynne about getting her "chipped" and once again I'm pretty intimate with the sofa.
Cheers
Fred

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 27, 2010 09:05PM

Fred, I'm guessing she's caught you pushing the "mute" button on the remote for the TV in the hopes it could control other devices?

JB

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 27, 2010 09:13PM

Yep, got it confused with the 25 year old blonde button.
Fred

smallbutfast
Samy Cuzmar

(2 posts)

11/21/2010 04:44PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: smallbutfast
Date: November 25, 2010 08:12AM

rficalora
Did you talk to Bruce at Digital Gaurd Dawg? He sold me an auxiliary unit that works with the RF unit that will control your door lock solenoids and use your stock horn as an alarm. I bought the system several weeks ago but haven’t installed the auxiliary unit yet. Still working on other details.
Samy

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: November 25, 2010 06:58PM

good info Sammy - thanks. The aux unit wasn't available yet when I talked with them this summer. I did find they have a relay that won't energize unless the RF tag is in proximity. That would work to do what I wanted (and in cleavor theft deterant ways too) but the relay + programming it to use the rf tags I already have was going to be about $100 so.I passed for now. I'm hoping the prices will come down as more companies offer similar products.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.