barrysmgb
barry strugnell

(26 posts)

12/24/2010 12:57PM

Main British Car:

trouble finding how to pages for exact need
Posted by: barrysmgb
Date: January 02, 2011 08:17PM

trouble finding how to pages saw example of list of page numbers can't find how to get to page i need. example: want to find best way to remove 79 mgb dash typed in google box did not show how to page. trying not to keep repeating topics on forum but need info on wiring dash , dash removal,front susp remval etc i think i am searching the wrong way one said use web browser where is that? thanks for any help as you can tell not real computer savey you guys have been great hoping to keep from posting as much. i know you have a lot of info already out there just need to know how to find it barry

Keith
Keith Tanner
Grand Junction, Colorado
(92 posts)

10/31/2008 01:45AM

Main British Car:
For the purpose of this forum, 1972 MGB GT 5.7l Chevrolet LS1

authors avatar
Re: trouble finding how to pages for exact need
Posted by: Keith
Date: January 04, 2011 12:25PM

Have you got the MG manual? It's useful for things like this.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 04, 2011 02:52PM

+1

Moss sells both Haynes and Bentley manuals...

http://www.britishv8.org/Sponsors/Moss-Motors-MGB.jpg

Whether you buy a manual or not, the Moss printed catalog contains a whole lot of excellent exploded-view diagrams. It's usually the very first place I look for basic information because it's so handy.

Keith
Keith Tanner
Grand Junction, Colorado
(92 posts)

10/31/2008 01:45AM

Main British Car:
For the purpose of this forum, 1972 MGB GT 5.7l Chevrolet LS1

authors avatar
Posted by: Keith
Date: January 04, 2011 05:18PM

I've got the reprinted MG factory publications. Of course, most of it no longer applies to my car! Still, it was pretty helpful during tear-down and REALLY helpful in wiring. The Moss diagrams are a great resource, no question. The Moss website has the same diagrams but a paper catalog in the shop is quick and easy.

That dashboard is rough to remove. There are a bunch of hidden nuts. I reinstalled mine two years after removing it, and I can't believe I figured out how to get it out.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 05, 2011 09:49AM

I think from time to time Curtis has posted primers on how to use the site's search function... I still have some trouble with it though. You can find the info you need, but not always as easily as you'd like. For instance, I may know that there's a reference to something in the MGB-Roadmaster thread somewhere, but it's now up to about 55 pages. Searching page by page is very slow, but a global site search isn't going to be specific to that thread or even forum. There may be an advanced search dialog but it isn't immediately apparent how to access it. That is probably a function of the software used to build the site though so I'm not sure how much can be done to improve things. Best bet is to just plug away at it until you find what it is that you're looking for though, it's usually in here somewhere.

As for those pesky dashboard nuts, a 1/4" drive socket set and a long extension work very well. I've got one that I think must be about 18" long and it'll reach all the way up there and makes the job a whole lot easier. Definitely worth going out and buying one.

JB

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4513 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: January 05, 2011 06:07PM

My favorite wiring diagrams are here:

[www.advanceautowire.com]

slater
Kris Slater

(9 posts)

02/21/2009 11:10PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: slater
Date: January 07, 2011 08:18PM

The search box on the top of this page will help. Another great source of MG info is the library over on The MG Experience. For example:
[www.mgexperience.net]
AND
[www.mgexperience.net]

Another search tip that I find useful when I am looking for something really specific is to use quotation marks. If you put quotations around a phrase, it will search for that specific phrase. For example, if you search for 'mgb engine removal' on Google.. without quotes you get nearly 80,000 results that include any page that has all three of those words at any point on the page. There could be a sentence with the word 'mgb' and another sentence with 'engine' and so on. If you search for the same thing WITH quotes you narrow it down to about 6000 results because it only lists pages with "mgb engine removal" in that specific order.

Removing the dash is a bit of a pain but all it takes is patience (and banged up knuckles). Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.