(13 posts)

06/02/2011 10:13PM

Main British Car:
1973 RD 302 in progress

authors avatar
Coil springs
Posted by: don-ho
Date: December 11, 2011 09:52AM

Hello all, does anyone know where I can get uprated coil springs that maintain the stock CB height? I am looking for something like Moss PN 264-386 which is suppose to have a free height of 9.75". I've tried two sets of these and the free height is only 8.25", which will not work (Moss cannot explain the height, and tell me its all they have). I have called a couple of custom spring shops but the cost is upwards of $450. I am putting these in a CB 302 conversion. Any guidance or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks....Don Prince

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Coil springs
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 11, 2011 10:51AM

Don, I have an air bag conversion kit for the MGB that allows you to adjust the ride height on-the-fly with an on-board compressor, gauge, and controls. It's a slip-in replacement but needs some wiring and pressure line routing for the controls.

JB

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: December 11, 2011 11:23AM

Before you commit to uprated springs, I'd complete the 302 conversion and determined if that is really necessary. The 302 with aluminum heads and T5 xsmn is perhaps 30lb heavier than a stock MGB powertrain - not enough extra weight to require heavier springs.
Add an aluminum hood and and flywheel and you have a sawoff in chassis weight.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 11, 2011 11:56AM

It may be a little closer to 50 lbs but I agree with Graham, the difference is usually not enough to be noticeable. Same with the 300 Buick which is more or less identical to the 5L Ford in weight.

JB

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 11, 2011 01:45PM

Jim and Graham are assuming you're thinking of a civilized street car.

If you were doing track days or a lot of autocrossing, and certainly if you were roadracing, you'd probably want stiffer front springs in combination with softer rear springs AND you'd certainly want to lower your ride height. Moss' front springs are a nod toward those assumptions. (Uprated rear springs are apparently a nod toward towing applications!) Other suppliers, including Targett Motorsport, sell considerably stiffer front springs than Moss. (It might be well to give John Targett a call. He knows the British supplier base well, and can help you procure all sorts of parts that aren't easily found in U.S.A.)

Whatever springs you install, they're settle some over time.

If you want a very specific (perhaps level?) ride height, or for performance reasons if you want to set your corner-weights accurately, you might want to consider a spacer block or modified spring pan solution. The article on Michael Zappa's MGB shows a nifty adjustable spring pan: Michael Zappa's 1962 MGB Racecar (note that it doesn't use regular MGB sized springs... instead it's sized to suit general-application racing springs.)

http://www.britishracecar.com/MichaelZappa-MG-MGB/MichaelZappa-MG-MGB-CC.jpg

http://www.britishracecar.com/MichaelZappa-MG-MGB/MichaelZappa-MG-MGB-CE.jpg
(the article includes more photos and information.)

don-ho
Don Prince
Atlanta GA
(13 posts)

06/02/2011 10:13PM

Main British Car:
1973 RD 302 in progress

authors avatar
Posted by: don-ho
Date: December 11, 2011 02:12PM

Thanks for the replies. I do, in fact, have aluminium heads and a T5 transmisson. I have no intentions beyond slightly aggressive civilized street driving. I think perhaps I will wait and see how things are with the stock springs. My concern is not only the additional weight of the engine but also the additional weight of the driver (I'm not as light as I used to be). Thanks again....Don

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 11, 2011 03:20PM

Re: softer rear springs. I dunno Curtis, it sort of depends on the roads you drive and how you drive them. I was bottoming out until I went with stiffer springs and shock valving, but maybe softer springs and stiffer shocks are a better solution (except that I broke a shock link by going too stiff). Best I think is softer combined with longer travel like we have on the Jag IRS conversion.

I think y'all are going to be real impressed with the airbags on the MG-Roadmaster in terms of handling as well as ride. They're lighter than springs too.

JB

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: December 11, 2011 10:32PM

800lb/in front spring rates and reduced rate rear leaf springs are typical of the vintage car racing community - works on the track but I wouldn't recommend it on the street.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.