ahdriver
Mark Smith
Walled Lake, Michigan
(6 posts)

03/05/2012 08:53PM

Main British Car:
1958 MGA Trackcar 1967 MGB-GT

authors avatar
Will an RB Front Crossmember fit on a Mark 1 MGB-GT?
Posted by: ahdriver
Date: March 30, 2012 05:57PM

I have a 1967 MGB-GT shell, a couple of SBF engines and a Tremec 3550 laying around, so the decision to do a V8 swap was made. I understand that the RB cars make this swap easier in part to the front crossmember. Will the newer crossmember bolt into the '67 shell? If so, what other issues arise from this conversion? Steering?

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Will an RB Front Crossmember fit on a Mark 1 MGB-GT?
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 30, 2012 09:58PM

the crossmember will bolt up, but I think that'd be just one of several changes.. Checkout out posts by Chris Salisbury (cj steak) & Paul Speak's posts on this board. Both have 302's in earlier cars. Chris's is a '67 GT like yours if I recall.

ahdriver
Mark Smith
Walled Lake, Michigan
(6 posts)

03/05/2012 08:53PM

Main British Car:
1958 MGA Trackcar 1967 MGB-GT

authors avatar
Posted by: ahdriver
Date: March 31, 2012 08:24PM

Thanks Rob,

I've been through all the forms, not finding much on any crossmember swaps...I'll keep looking. These forms are a world of knowledge, and I'm constantly bookmarking them. Cutting in to this car is a little scary, never done anything like this to an MG before, or any car for that matter. I've built cars, done big block swaps, but this is different!

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: March 31, 2012 10:21PM

I think you'd want the RB steering rack to go with the cross member. And that may require the recessed cone where the steering goes through the fire wall. Not sure where Walled Lake is, but look up Ted Lathrop @ www.fastcarsinc.com and Steve Carrick @ www.advanceautowire.com. Both are in MI and have done 302 swaps. And PM Chris; I'm sure he'd be happy to share what he did.

Doc Hopalongfoot
Marc Weitzman
Huntingto Woods, MI
(58 posts)

01/22/2008 11:45PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB roadster ford 302

Posted by: Doc Hopalongfoot
Date: April 01, 2012 08:11PM

Hi Mark,
I'm in the Royal Oak area and my SBF RB roadster is mostly finished.
Send a PM and you can stop by for a chat sometime.
Marc

djw090
David Witham
Warwick UK
(115 posts)

06/12/2008 11:20AM

Main British Car:
MGB 1974 and MG ZT 160 turbo 2005

Posted by: djw090
Date: April 02, 2012 04:52AM

Of the helpful features on a rubber bumper car I think the cross member is the least valuable. While it results in greater clearance between the sump and the cross member it also raises the cars ride height. Therefore creating clearance by surgery to the chrome bumper cross member may be more desirable.

The cut away bulkheads, additional dishing in the inner wings and forward radiator mounting that you get in late rubber bumper car are of more use.

mgbreis
Ryan Reis
Beatrice, NE
(203 posts)

07/16/2008 11:07AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgbreis
Date: April 02, 2012 10:33AM

To follow on David's post, I personally would not want to swap a RB x member into a chrome bumper car. Yes, by doing so you gain clearance between the x member and the hood, but unless I'm mistaken you still have to notch the RB x member. And, by gaining the inch (or more?) of hood to x member clearance, you end up with a raised ride height in the front. Which you don't want. So then what? Lowering springs? Lowered spindles? Any of which is a bigger pain in the butt than just using the chrome bumper x member and notching it appropriately. And on a mk I car, or really any chrome bumper car, the modifications to the firewall and tunnel are a much bigger challenge than working around the chrome bumper x member. As long as you can run an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and a welder you'll be just fine!

Chris Salisbury, who posts over at the mgexperience site as CSTEAK, and also posts here, has a '67 gt converted to SBF. He would be a really good source for you to talk to.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 03, 2012 10:05PM

I'm with David & Ryan. No way would I do that. Find a way to make it work. Heck, I have a CB crossmember I plan to swap into my RB car.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: April 04, 2012 03:53PM

I’m glad to hear all this! I thought I made a mistake using my 72 cross member, not knowing there is a difference, but apparently while being ignorant, did the right thing. Who would have thought :-)

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.