07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Stock Gauges
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: August 26, 2010 06:33PM

I have two questions.

(1) In Volume VIII, 1 Jan 2000 Kurt Schley wrote an article “Converting the MGB Tachometer to V-8 Calibration,” where he said “the 1972 RVI 1439/00 Tachometer already has a built-in pot that can adjust the rpm range quite a bit. It is possible that there is enough adjustment in the pot that it can he calibrated for V-8 use without modifications. I [he] did not have access to a '72 car to attempt the adjustment, so any readers who have a '72 MGB give it a try.” I have a 72 with this tach and hope this might work. Has anyone tried this yet? As I have nothing to lose I was planning to try it and assume the pot adjustment is the small white screw in the hole. Does anybody have any info or advice? Also the other gauges don’t have the spade connectors marked; does it matter which blade is the 12 volt power and which goes to the sending unit?

(2) I also plan to use the speedometer and need info on a cable and drive gear that will work between it and a Ford T5 5speed.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 06:35PM by pspeaks.

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Stock Gauges
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: August 26, 2010 09:09PM

Paul,
D&D has the correct speedo cable to mate a Ford T5 to a stock MGB speedo...cost is $65. Depending on your tire size and RA ratio the driven gear might have to change (but that is 10 second job).

From D&D's website:

$65.00 616327-F Speedometer Cable – To connect B/W T-5 Ford transmission to M.G. speedometer, includes speedo gear. Must specify year of vehicle.

EDIT: You need to determine which drive gear (6-black,7-yellow or 8-green teeth) you have in the xsmn and based on tire size and RA ratio, you can specify which driven gear you need when ordering from D&D.

Joel Voelkers has this nifty calculator for determining the driven gear tooth count.
[www.roverv8.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 10:50PM by ex-tyke.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 27, 2010 09:04AM

Thanks Graham, I really didn't want to use aftermarket gauges because I like the look of Smiths and I already have a full set. I have an electronic set in my roadster, changed the speedometer twice and still can't get it to work. Thanks so much for the info, "P"

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 27, 2010 11:00AM

Paul, I'm not sure about adjusting that resistor, seems I tried that and I think it does not have enough adjustment, but let us know if you get it to work. I use an add-on board in mine that replaces the stock drivers for the movement, and that is adjustable for a wider range. So there are several options on the tach.

JB

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 27, 2010 11:59AM

Thanks Jim, when it comes to electronic work I'm an idiot but I'm gonna try like I knew what I was doing and if it doesn't work I'll blame it on my son if he isn't home at the time. Do you have to make the add-on board or can you buy it and if you have to make it, is it diffacult? I also have a 1971 tach that I can use for a training aid before messing with my good one.

"P"

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 27, 2010 10:42PM

It's a ready made board sold by Theo Smit, a Tiger owner but I think the board has gotten rather pricey. I'd try the add on resistor first.

JB

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 27, 2010 11:37PM

Thanks Jim, as an airplane guy I think I'll ask one of our electronic techs to do it for me. I also have no clue which connection is which on the tach, therefor, where the associated wires go. I assume (A) on the attached picture is a case ground but I don't know about (B), (C), and (D).

It has a 302 in it so the origional wiring diagram isn't helping me. I know one goes to the coil and one goes to the ignition but I don't know which is witch or if the blade is used at all (instrument power, again I asume).

PS Update: Well, I guess my little tach adventure has come to an end. I finally got the nerve to open the 72’ tack I thought was good and found the white wire that loops through the coil to be fried to a crisp. I also opened the 71’ tach and found one of the tiny red wires from the coil broken at the board. Does anybody sell a V8 Smiths tach or can these be repaired? Frankly I’m a little disgusted with the whole thing and though I’d rather not, I’m about to go with an electronic Shark set. Wouldn't look as good, but would be much easier and less costly.

Don't guess it matters which wire goes where now, does it!

IMG_0598.JPG

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 04:49PM by pspeaks.

Tom H
Tom Hayden

(3 posts)

04/16/2012 01:20PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Tom H
Date: April 16, 2012 01:29PM

Hello Paul, Found this old post about MG tach. I'm a Sunbeam owner and trying to help a fellow Sunbeamer by fixing his tach which uses the identical circuit found in this MG tach. Do you still have this tach? Did you fix it, get it fixed? I'm an electronic engineer and could probably fix the tach I'm working on but I need to know more about the main device inside it - the transistor or Unijunctiion or whatever is that MT59/A . Once I figure out the internal circuit I could probably be a resource for MG owners on these.

Tom Hayden
Lakewood, OH

NCtim
Tim Shumbera
Western North Carolina
(239 posts)

01/19/2012 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NCtim
Date: April 16, 2012 04:33PM

Hi Tom,

Another new source of help and info would be great. I'll be struggling with the exact problem in a year or so. Any new info would be greatly appreciated.

NCtim

Tom H
Tom Hayden

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 16, 2012 06:41PM

Hi Tim,

If your tach looks like this one on the rear, with the two "bullet" connectors then you willl be struggling along with me. This is from a 69-72 or so MG. But if yours is a 64-69 or so, and has a metal U-clip on the rear that the white wire loops though, then I have those nailed down and know them well.

See this article I wrote for our Sunbeam group:

[www.sunbeamalpine.org]

Tom

avbates
Tony Bates
San Jose California
(25 posts)

03/22/2008 12:16PM

Main British Car:
74 MGB roadster 4.2 litre Rover

Posted by: avbates
Date: April 16, 2012 09:28PM

You can buy the tach at several sources including
[www.nisonger.com]
www.holden.co.uk

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 16, 2012 10:11PM

Paul, I modified the tach in my 73 Midget to work with my V6 using Kurts directions but a diffrerent value pot. Worked fine and is pretty accurate compared with a modern electronic tach I used to calibrate with.
As for the speedometer, I used a MG cable and a modified MGB angle drive to make the connection, but it hasn't been very reliable, mostly because of the bends in the cable itsefl with cause early breakage. The angle drive has held up pretty well through all this though. Just filed the stock cable spur that goes into the speedo gear to fit the T5 gear and used the T5 threaded ring on the angle drive. I had to use the angle drive because of clearance problems with the tunnel on my car, but if you have room for just a cable then I'd think most any competent speedometer shop could make up a cable to fit both ends, Just take them the T5 fitting and a Smiths speedometer and the length you need and they should be able to do the rest.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 17, 2012 09:19AM

I finally gave up and went with a set of aftermarket mechanical gauges. Not much in the interior is original MG anyway, including the fiberglass dash which for the most part looks like a MG dash but you guys would notice the difference; I don’t guess it hurt the appearance all that much. I decided to go with a mechanical speedometer because of all the problems we had with the electronics on T-Buckets. At present I’m modifying the forward console so I can use a modern square shaped satellite radio with Bluetooth phone. Pictures as soon as I get it presentable.

Tom H
Tom Hayden

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 17, 2012 10:59AM

Paul, If you still have the old tach would you be willing to send it to me so I could disect it and maybe use the knowledge (and parts?) gained to help others?

Tom

HealeyRick
Rick Neville

(490 posts)

12/19/2007 05:01PM

Main British Car:
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 Ford 5.0L

authors avatar
Posted by: HealeyRick
Date: April 17, 2012 02:37PM

Another approach to keeping stock gauges is to use the guts of a modern tach inside the original case. I really wanted to keep all the original gauges in my Healey, but it came with a mechanical tach that I couldn't hook up to my SBF. I ended up using a Stewart-Warner tach inside the old gauge. You can see how i did it on my Projects page: [forum.britishv8.org]

Rick

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 17, 2012 03:29PM

Tom, I think I still have some guages here, may take me a couple of days but PM me a mailing address and I'll round up what I have. I can't sware to there quality or if they're complete internaly, but hope they help.

Thats a great idea Rick, I didn't think of that but probably wouldn't have had the skill to do it anyway.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.