hailsham uk
(16 posts)

08/28/2011 04:50AM

Main British Car:
MG Roadster SBF347

t5,tko500
Posted by: motman
Date: August 07, 2012 03:44PM

Hi from uk,would like a bit of help did a search on here but did'nt find any answers.
I was going to fit 4.6(280ci)rover unit which i have had rebuilt but after loads of deliberation have decided to use 302ci ford(367 bhp and 340 lbs/ft) i allready have t5 wc box from a TVR which has also been rebuilt so my questions are as follows

1/ t5 rated @300 lbs/ft should i use this with new mustang bellhousing?

2/get t5 super duty rated @330 lbs/ft from summit and have shipped to uk $1500 plus shipping and uk tax = $2000 plus

3/I can obtain from uk tko 500 as a complete kit,ie flywheel,clutch kit,release brg etc for $3800.

Will tko 500 fit into 79 mgb without any major problems as i don't want to hack large lumps out of footwells(chopped enough of my bulkhead for A/C allready)

Your input much desired has anyone got tko 500 in mgb?

love this site,shame only a few brits mod mgb's,much more fun than boring 1.8 four pots
best regards
nigel

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(192 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Re: t5,tko500
Posted by: IaTR6
Date: August 07, 2012 05:38PM

Nigel,
From my experience, a WC T5 can be rated at 265 ft#, or 300, and possibly as high as 330ft#. The best way to tell what you have is to look at the coding on the aluminum factory tag that is attached to the transmission case. If the unit has been rebuilt at some point, the tag may have been removed and left off, in which case you have very little guarantee of what you have. The transmission cases will have a casting identification in the form of a circle with a year date and an arrow ponting to one of a number of "bumps" that I don't have any information on. However, the year shown will give some idea, but not definitive. If the transmission came from a Ford Mustang originally, there should be a partial VIN stamped on the side of the case next to the bellhousing attachment. I was sold a rebuilt "300ft#" transmission, but there is no tag and no proof of the rating. I might be able to determine further, but have decided to follow some advice from an article I read that indicated that many of the 265# units lived for a long time in 3000# plus Mustangs with exuberant drivers, and my ~2500# TR6 won't have the tires nor weight to hurt the transmission. Just my thoughts.
Dennis

motman
nigel cooper
hailsham uk
(16 posts)

08/28/2011 04:50AM

Main British Car:
MG Roadster SBF347

Posted by: motman
Date: August 07, 2012 05:58PM

HI dennis as i said in my post t5 came out of a TVR chimera(if your not familiar its a fibreglass brit sports car,with a RV8)what i want to really know is would my t5 last very long and if not is a TKO500 much bigger than a t5,ie can i fit TKO500 into my B without destroying footwell
regards
nigel

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: August 07, 2012 07:27PM

Nigel, the T-5 fits the tunnel of an MGB well. I did not see the type car you were working with. I think the TKO is physically larger and may require extensive mods to fit. The T- super duty is rated at 335# and is the unit I use. The cars are so light, they do not cause a problem with higher HP engines. Now, if you were hooking up and stressing it, the std WC T-5 might be a little weak. Depening on how you drive, normal cruising and an occasional burst of speed and tire squeal should not be a cause for concern. Most of us do not get enough traction to tear up much.
SAFETY FASTER!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.