J D

(29 posts)

12/29/2009 03:51PM

Main British Car:

New Guy - 72 MGB CB - 302 Build
Posted by: debrujr
Date: December 29, 2009 04:19PM

Greetings all,

I picked up my 72 out of a guys field for cheap. This is my first MG. It needs some minor sheetmetal work but all in all is in decent shape for a shell. I decided I wanted a car to put the fear of God in me. I chose the 302 since there is a lot of coverage and there are tons of cheap parts here in Arkansas. If someone has some good links or comprehensive parts lists it would be greatly appreciated. I am searching the web for info but a helping hand usually lends to a faster result. Regards,,

James

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: New Guy - 72 MGB CB - 302 Build
Date: December 30, 2009 02:24PM

I ran across a 302/C4 out of a 1978 Granada today for $300. The car drove over 250 miles to a guys home a few weeks ago. He wanted suspension/brake parts and doesn't need the engine/trans. Any opposition to this setup? I would prefer a T5 but the C4 may be nice in traffic. Ideas/Thoughts/Concerns

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: December 30, 2009 04:10PM

Hi James, sounds like a nice project. There are several guys around with experience using the Ford 302 engine, take a look through the photo section at those for some hints. The C4 isn't the best transmission Ford ever built, but it is ok and will definitely hold up to a mild 302. Clearance in the tunnel is another issue that I don't have an answer for. There are several cars around with automatics but the only one I'm familiar with used a GM tranny behind a V6. Someone will have an answer though.

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 30, 2009 07:49PM

Bill,thank you for your reply. I believe that I am going to try to hold out for a roller and a T5. It will save me time later. I would like to know if anyone has an idea to fitment of an auto behind the 302 though.

mgv8vt
Dale Spooner

(5 posts)

12/07/2009 09:26AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: mgv8vt
Date: December 31, 2009 08:01AM

I originally built my 77B with a 302 C/4. Excellent tough tranny IMHO, I went through mine (very simple), shifts are crisp and solid. Tunnel clearance was not an issue at all but probably is on a CB. The existing tranny mount that came on my '72 trans was an easy adaptation also, mounted right on the stock cross member. I had a 2.76 rear gear but it still wasn't high enough with the auto so I would recommend holding out for a T5. I now have a T5 with a 3.0 rear and it's perfect. With an auto you also need to have a rad with a built in trans cooler or add one which contributes to the heating problem. I lost 10 degrees switching to a T5.

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 01, 2010 10:45PM

Thank you for your input! I am holding out for a T5 so hopefully I run across something soon. I am trying to hold back for a good deal on the right setup. Thanks again!

t.lay
Tom Lay
Grayslake, IL
(93 posts)

05/13/2008 09:53PM

Main British Car:
72 mg b gt

Posted by: t.lay
Date: January 03, 2010 01:23AM

I have a 302 and c4 in an old bronco - it's a compact tranny - about the simplest auto around. Also have a roller 5.0 and t5 in my mg (and ford 8" in the rear). Just got it running this fall and tucked away since it's about 8 degrees outside. Still some details to attend to, but it's running. Got my 5.0 out of an 87 lincoln lsc (HO motor). Those blocks are tough - 139k on it and still within spec - got to keep the forged pistons. The t5 and bellhousing was on flea-bay. Found the motor at a pick n pull on half price day for $75 - I think the tranny was $300 - just missing the output shaft. Just keep your eyes peeled. fwiw, the prices on ls motors are getting into decent territory. Some of the newer builds seem to be leaning that way.

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
Posted by: mindseye
Date: January 03, 2010 11:28PM

I got a T-5 from a S-10 and it seems to be a really good match, they are in lots of mustangs too and should be easy to find.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: January 04, 2010 01:39AM

James, I'm doing the same thing as you, a 302 in a 72 GT. I have a 79 302 and I highly recommend going with a 81 or later as 50oz parts are much easier to find and less expensive. It took me two months to find a reasonable 157 tooth 28oz flywheel that would accept a stock clutch disk. I know driveability might be better with an automatic but there is a lot more to installing one than you might think. I've owned my GT for over thirty years and can't help staying with the manual. You have a fun project ahead of you, and take it from someone who has driven MG's for over 40 years, they're also fun to drive. If you have questions, don't hesitate to post them here, the guys on this site have been great to me and helped more than I can say.

Paul

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 04, 2010 09:27AM

Thanks guys for all of your comments and motivation!!! I cannot wait to get this thing on the road even though I know it is a long term project. The car is not pretty and I don't want to rush it so it may take a bit to complete but I have plenty of time and hopefully plenty of money. I am holding out to find a later model fox body that is crashed that way I can procure an engine, trans, all associated wiring, and hopefully a rear end to be transplanted later. I worked on the car yesterday and pulled the motor in 25 minutes but the dash took two hours even with using a saw! It was rusted and cracked so no worries. I’m planning on removing all wiring and ancillary parts from the engine bay/dash this week. Other than suspension, braking system, and the shell itself, it will all be removed/replaced. And yes the brakes and suspension will be upgraded but I am staying with MG specific design and not some crazy off the wall stuff. I did custom auto sound, full interior customization, and suspension for a few years and that is one of the worst dashes I have ever removed. My hands are horribly sore and cut up this morning. Definitely not conducive to a programmers daily tasks. I have already started to formulate a new dash/console that is easier to remove. I will say that if you are a purist of the MGB and do not like to see a car astray from its factory specifications, you won't want to read any of my posts. I fully intend on a one off interior, custom body mods, and of course the Ford power plant. Like I said, it may take a while but it should turn heads when complete.

MGB SS
Joe Schafer
Central Michigan
(150 posts)

10/23/2007 06:46AM

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Posted by: MGB SS
Date: January 04, 2010 08:43PM

James

Sounds like a great project. Are you thinking EFI or a carb? The 90s T-Bird and the 94 + mustang have a shorter front cover/ water pump and a lower EFI intake but the Fox body has the Mass air and simplest EFI wiring to convert/adapt. Just some thoughts.

Good luck

Joe

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 04, 2010 08:53PM

At this point I am pushing for EFI but I keep finding carb motors for nothing. I have been trying to find a 94-95 but they aren't just popping up. I wasn't aware that the Chickens were the same. I have tried to find a breakdown of engines by desirability and specs but I can't seem to locate a relevant one for my scenario. I have made a blanket request for an EFI motor but other than that I am unsure as to the nuances between them. I know which stangs have what but not sure on the other Fords. Possibility of compiling said list?

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 04, 2010 11:59PM

As we have a bit of a fiberglass fabrication background, I striped the vynal off my gross 72 dash, reformed the instrument area, and fiber glassed the whole thing. It's not metal like Dan's but I think it looks pretty good. I'll post pictures when I get the instruments in and wire it. James, a great deal of the fun is figuring out how to do things you haven't done before and taking pride in your accomplishments; enjoy!!!

MGB SS
Joe Schafer
Central Michigan
(150 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Date: January 05, 2010 07:42AM

I don't have a list and I am going from memory but The T-Bird, Lincoln Mark? and Mustangs had the desirable moters the HOs would be my preference. The Bird and Lincoln only had Auto trans, but had the shorter front and the lower intake as did the 94+ Mustang. The oil pan is another issue the Large front sump on the Fox body doesn't work well with the MG-B crossmember, I was able to use the double sump pan that the T- Bird came with.

I think the 94+Mustang with The T-5 already attached as you mentioned would be your best bang for the Buck, but I am not sure what oil pan they have. Also do research on the shifter location on the 94+ T-5 seems I remember an issue with it.

Truck moters were not roller camed until later on and all the EFI is non usable, not a good starting point in my book.

On my conversion I used the 91 T-Bird engine complete, found a bell housing, Flywheel and T-5 from a Fox body Mustang, used Painless Mass air wire harness, Mustang computer and Came up with a Slave cylinder and a remote Oil filter set up and that was all I had to get for the Engine/Trans.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 07:46AM by MGB SS.

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 02, 2010 09:46PM

Well I finally kicked myself in the pants and decided to get to work even though it is 106 outside! I have been putting it off for almost two months but I am finally getting motivated again. I don't think I had listed the purchase of the 92 Mustang but that was a huge step. Pulled the 5.0H.O./T-5/8.8/Wiring about two months ago and have now begun the restomod.

So far I have disassembled the necessary parts to get started and put in some cross bracing for the engine swap and floor replacement. I tried to weld it in to where it would be strong but not get in the way of installation. Let me know if you see anywhere that I need to add more. It will eventually end up on a rotisserie so I want it to be strong.

I plan to start cutting on the firewall tomorrow or Thursday with hopes of getting the engine inside of it this weekend.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/5c4ea72a.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/6c345973.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/89db19cf.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/636a9c34.jpg

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: August 02, 2010 11:18PM

For what its worth, I recommend taking your time and cutting as little as possible. I'm no "Tin Man" so putting it back in and the associated grinding was a pain along with I'm in Texas and the outside air temp was not my friend.

Paul

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 11, 2010 10:35PM

Well I have made some progress. I followed the same mantra that Leonard Marshall did with putting the engine farther back and using a hugger header etc.. After chopping out part of the fire wall and tunnel I was able to wiggle/slide/pry it in. It is not mounted yet and the reason for that is that I am debating on my placement. I am wondering whether I should look at putting a cowl on the hood or notch the cross member so the harmonic balancer can sit lower and possibly fit under the hood. In going lower I am concerned as to how far the engine will stick down below the car and whether an optimal degree of angle can be achieved. I like the idea of no hump but don't like holes in oil pans.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/9e394371.jpg

Phillip G
Phillip Leonard
Kansas City
(395 posts)

02/03/2008 04:12PM

Main British Car:
1992 MG RV8 Rover 3.5

Posted by: Phillip G
Date: August 12, 2010 03:50PM

J D,

Great looking chassis to start the project with. Just that alone may be the most important part of the project - and you will have that behind you, with just the many other steps ahead that will be enhanced in every way by beginning with the great chassis.

You have a project started that you will never forget and will bring you much pride.

Sincerely,

keep them on the track

phillip g

MGB SS
Joe Schafer
Central Michigan
(150 posts)

Main British Car:
1971 Mgb 1991 5.0 Ford

authors avatar
Date: September 14, 2010 09:53PM

JD

Did you ever get any further on your 302 B

Looking at some old post and came across this one if you have been working on it or have any questions I would be glad to help

Joe

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 19, 2010 10:59PM

I did today! Finally!!!! I have been getting into home brewing and working on my keg-orator restoration/customization project so that took all my time and garage space.

Now that it is out of the garage and in the "bar room" I am back on the MG. I had posted last time about trying to get the hood to fit without a hump.... Well IT DOES!!! Actually with some room to spare. It isn't mounted to the chassis yet but it is sitting appx. where it should be. I still need to get my angles right and weld in the mounts. I know it looks rough but it is on it's way. Below are a few pics that I took. Is this the first CB MGB to fit a 302 under the hood without a hump? I am slightly concerned about the pan being low but a change of pan and a skid plate should cure it. Also I should be able to move it up an inch or two without any clearance problems with the hood. Any thoughts or concerns? Cheers!

P.S. Thanks again rficalora for the cross member!!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/c9022f72.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/4e459655.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/62ef61bd.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/13bd838b.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/e33eddb7.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/742d99e2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/civicnar/MGB/a09a4ccb.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 12:04PM by debrujr.
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.