Dorset, England
(19 posts)

08/22/2009 09:33AM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB GT Rover 3.9 V8

mgb GT leaf springs
Posted by: kmcrae
Date: January 05, 2010 09:01AM

I have just removed the axle and springs ect off the car over the x-mass period and now plan to refit the rebuilt axle. The springs look in poor condition. Which leads me to ask a few questions before departing with my money. I have changed to a rubber bumper shell which has a higher ride height. Can you use chrome bumper springs to get the correct height? I see Moss offer up-rated springs do they offer any advantage compared to the standard ones?
I have ordered a full set of Poly bushes and have a rear Spax kit to fit when doing the rebuild, do any of you think the car would need anti tramp bars fitting.

Want to check I have covered all bases before I assemble the parts. The engine I intend fitting will be 3.9 v8 (4.0 block problem!!!) at about 230bhp max.

Any advise would be appreciated

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
Re: mgb GT leaf springs
Posted by: mindseye
Date: January 06, 2010 01:16PM

My two cents......I have the stock set up and have had no problems with tramp and I am running approx. 200hp+ with a ford 9". I recently had the whole front end re-done in stock...mostly cause of the cost to upgrade otherwise I would have changed whole front end, as to the rear the ride is much to be desired with just stock springs....if I ever had to re do it I would upgrade with better springs and a shock kit, I see they sell a couple at moss pretty resonably

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: January 07, 2010 12:31AM

John, I plan to change to a Ford rear end in the near future. Did the 9" present any problems compared to an 8"? You wouldn't have the width from T-bolt flange to T-bolt flange would you? Thanks,

Paul

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

11/18/2007 10:38AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB GT Rover V8 4.35L

Posted by: castlesid
Date: January 07, 2010 03:27PM

Kevin,

I seem to remember recommending the Moss reverse spring eye springs to you a while back, they are 2" lower than the standard RB springs and bring the rear down to chrome bumper ride height at approx 14 3/4", the ride and handling is superb and the grip simply amazing wet or dry, this is without the rear anti roll bar and the spring are laterally quite stiff so make a panhard rod unnecessary for road or occasional track use.

moss part no. MGS40721 rated at 110lb you will need to trim the bump stops down by an inch or so to avoid bottoming out and instant oversteer.

Kevin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.