Kyle Cole
Corvallis, Oregon
(5 posts)

12/23/2013 12:52PM

Main British Car:

Should I buy this MGB V8?
Posted by: MGoggler
Date: December 23, 2013 10:55PM

Hello All, I've been hunting for a stock MG for months but I discovered this site andI have been bitten by the V8 bug. I've found this MG V8 for sale on Craigslist: [seattle.craigslist.org]

The car was originally built in the mid 90's by Kurt Schley and its listed here [www.britishv8.org]

Since Kurt owned it it has had several owners and clearly had a paint job and a stroked crank put in. The current owner Doug has owned it for two or three years and only driven it "about 150 miles" after having bought it from a guy who only owned it for a week. This is all setting off alarm bells for me.

My questions are: 1) Does anyone here know how good the original build was? Its clearly not the same level of quality as some on this site. 2) Anyone know the recent hitory of the vehicle? 3) Is the price ($9500) fair? 4) What are the major issues I could be getting into? I don't want to tackle a major rebuild right off the bat. And I already know I'd have to paint it.

Any collective words of wisdom? Thanks!
Kyle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 10:56PM by MGoggler.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Should I buy this MGB V8?
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 23, 2013 11:25PM

I'd say the car would be worth it. The conversion was well done, and just on it's merits I'd say the car would be worth the money. The HIWD on this site was out of date long before Kurt sold the car and I'm almost positive the stroker was built and installed by Kurt while he still lived in northern Ohio. No clues on what happened with the paint but I don't think it was repainted because it needed it, it looks like someone just wanted to personalize the car.

Now as for it not meeting current standards, of course it wouldn't. Those photos were taken about 7 years ago and the car was built several years before that. In fact there's some history here that should add to the value. Kurt was the original founder of the MGB-V8 Newsletter, which eventually evolved into the BritishV8 website that we are on right now. His car was one of the earlier conversions and it is well known to all of the older members in our sport. Both Kurt and his car always were and still are highly respected and liked by all of us. So I doubt anyone here is going to give you a bad review. Just the same of course, check it out carefully and make your own judgements as nobody knows what the car has been through after it left Kurt's hands. While he had it though, it was a fine example.

Jim

MGoggler
Kyle Cole
Corvallis, Oregon
(5 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 24, 2013 12:20AM

Thanks for the quick follow up and history Jim. The build description was very detailed and it's clear Kurt knows what he is doing. I will definitely take a closer look. Can you tell me some of the things I should keep an eye out for, especially with the Olds 266? How is the reliability of these engines and is there good parts availability? Thanks again!
Kyle

MGoggler
Kyle Cole
Corvallis, Oregon
(5 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 24, 2013 12:44AM

Never mind! I just read "The Affordable Aluminum V8" and answered my own questions. This website is an INCREDIBLE information resource. And inspiration resource.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: December 24, 2013 09:02AM

I doubt that you could build a new car with the same equipment for anywhere near this kind of money ,so if it drives ok, why not ?
Dave

Capt'n Moorgone
Mike Moor
Angola,IN
(116 posts)

11/20/2008 07:05PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB 300 Buick

authors avatar
Posted by: Capt'n Moorgone
Date: December 24, 2013 09:50AM

The car has changed a lot since Kurt owned it. Last time I saw it, it was green in color, had aluminum interior panels and duel carbs. Kurt had me polish those wheels and make the center cap logos. They are the same wheels as on my car. Kurt used the Olds engine for the extra row of head bolts. I agree, you couldn't build one for that money to that quality. Go for it! Mike

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 24, 2013 12:24PM

Welcome to BritishV8! I was going to add comments about the car... but Jim said pretty much exactly what I'd have written. - I agree that it appears to be bargain priced and that this of all MG V-8 conversions deserves a good home. - Like you, I'd have to have some paint work done before I'd be really happy with it. That wouldn't put me off. Stay in touch and let us know how it goes.

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

11/20/2013 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Posted by: MG wanna B
Date: December 24, 2013 02:37PM

I can tell you that the conversion that I'm planning will start at 10,000, and that's using my car, and my labor.

that's just the kit, and shipping is extra, too

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

07/20/2009 06:40PM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB-GT 1979 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: pspeaks
Date: December 24, 2013 04:41PM

Granted everything is new and I include the original cost of the car, but I've got $9,000 in mine and still spending. I doubt it will ever end but I want the best for my baby.

Paul

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: December 24, 2013 05:08PM

yea,

I'm gonna be just starting with that. I'm hoping to find a 77 - 80 model in white, as my conversion car. I have a 76, but will have to modify it to make it happen, and I really don't want to do that.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: December 24, 2013 07:05PM

I miss Kurt.

If it were not for Kurt's efforts in the mid-90's....there would be no BritishV8 meets nor BritishV8.org as we know them.

This community owes a Kurt a LOT of thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 07:06PM by mowog1.

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: December 24, 2013 07:31PM

if that car were here I would be all under it, and could afford a really nice white paint job, cheaper than I could build one.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 25, 2013 12:55AM

Edward, my car is a 72, I'm no expert and I've never owned a 77-80, but I thought a 74 1/2 through 80 was the same under the hood and would require the same mods.

Paul.

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: December 25, 2013 06:32AM

well, from what mark was telling me at D&D, the radiator mounts on a 76 and earlier, have to be relocated forward to allow enough room, where the 77 - 80 models already have the space allowed. he also told me that the tunnels of all, have to be "massaged", as he stated, to allow enough space. I don't mind "massaging" the tunnel, but I really didn't want to be cutting on the car.

but, with me not being able to find a suitable car, it's looking more and more like I'm gonna be cutting my car, because of not finding a good converted car, fairly local, nor, finding a white candidate car.

my plan was to start at the first of the year with the order to fit the car that I was planning to do, but, I haven't found the car, so, it's work with what I have. I am gonna give it just a bit more time, but I will be gearing up to go by the end of January.

pspeaks
Paul Speaks
Dallas, Texas
(698 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: December 25, 2013 09:04AM

Thanks Edward, I didn't know that, I thought they were the same; learn something new every day. I didn't have to do anything to the transmission tunnel for my T-5 but I'll admit rebuilding the firewall was one of the least favorite things I had to do and every day I find things I wish I had done differently. I'd hopped to get away without repainting too but I had it painted Ruby Red Micca 24 years ago and time and the sun hasn't been all that kind to it.

Paul

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: December 25, 2013 09:34AM

yea, I really wanted to ride and build, but it doesn't look like it's gonna turn out that way.

I even found a started project in florida, but it's already gone. it was cheap enough to buy, ship, paint and finish. it had the running gear already in it, with a new soft top, and a hard top.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6469 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 25, 2013 10:36AM

Mark may be mistaken about that, or may not have understood the question exactly. Best to do your own research and not rely completely on any one source. Many conversions have been done without beating on the sheet metal. I am not aware of ANY body mods that apply only to the 1980 model year, and from 1974.5 onward I'm pretty sure the V8 is a bolt-in.

But what say we don't hijack this particular thread, right? It's about something important to all of us as a group.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2013 10:38AM by BlownMGB-V8.

MG wanna B
edward davidson
mount olive,n.c.
(96 posts)

Main British Car:
1977 mgb 2.8 l gm v6

authors avatar
Date: December 25, 2013 01:34PM

I'm going on what he is telling me, the main thing is the relocation of the radiator mounts, that would need to be moved forward to have enough room for the engine to have clearance to turn, without hitting the radiator. massaging the tunnel isn't a problem.
the recommended cars are 77 - 80 models. 76 and down have the radiator mounts in a different location.

I have my 76 and a 77 sitting nose to nose, and can plainly see the difference, but the rest is, pretty much, the same. he did, also mention, that some of them, might have to have something done around the steering shaft, due to the close proximity of the exhaust set up, but it was just some, and not all.

he is in that business, and I'm not, so I'm not gonna question someone's judgment that builds these parts, everyday, but if I send him 10 to 11,000 dollars to send me a conversion kit, and it's not right, he has already been told about the journal that will be made of the conversion, and it will, surely be noted. this is the whole idea behind my conversion, I want to provide a source for every mg b owner that wants to do this an avenue that they can, basically buy a kit, and do it in a timely manner, without all the fabrication, and time lost issues.

I personally don't have the time, or the dedicated space to have a car sitting in the middle of my shop, that I service small engines, for customers, waiting for fabrication issues that normally hold up a conversion. I have the capabilities, and the mechanical ability to do the job, but I don't want to have a dead car taking up space in my shop, while I wait.

he says that the job could easily be done in 60 - 90 days, with the right kit in the right car, and the amount of time dedicated to it, but the only thing that he would not be able to supply, would be the custom exhaust system, and we will be going down an item by item list of the parts needed for the conversion, but will need to know the actual car that I'm gonna do.

no one else has even come close to that.

I really want to just buy a white one already done, and would consider another color, if the price were right, so I could get it painted to white, but it's not looking like that's gonna happen, so my 76 is the back up plan, even though i'll have to cut it.

Preform Resources
Dave Craddock
Redford,Michigan
(359 posts)

12/20/2008 05:46PM

Main British Car:
72 MGB V6 3.4

Posted by: Preform Resources
Date: December 25, 2013 02:52PM

I'm reluctant to respond, but by moving the rad forward you merely bypassing the old location just fab up some sheet metal brackets to close in the rad in it's new location you don't have to cut anything up on the chassis and create a seal to the inside of the hood just drill a few holes and bolt in place, not exactly cutting the car up IMHO.
Dave

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: December 25, 2013 03:16PM

Back to Kyle's question on Kurt's original car: anything less than $10K for a quality conversion seems to be a GOOD Buy. I'm sure Kurt upgraded many items over the time he had the car. I don't think it was at the Cleveland meet when he got married, but I've been wrong before. If I were looking for a BOPR V8, this would fit the bill. Other than Ken Costello's conversions and Glen Towery's car, this could be one of the earliest V8's of the modern era. Disregard the "@#$%&";-). A particular Tundra Green V8 knock-off. I'm sure others will chime in if they have additional info or my info is flawed. SAFETY FASTER!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2013 07:07PM by kstevusa.
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.