Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

RattyBGT
David Martin
Lancashire, UK
(3 posts)

10/05/2013 11:35AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG BGT MG B Series 1800 Range Rover EFI 4.0 to go in...

authors avatar
Fitting GRP Rear wing advice, previous post pointers...
Posted by: RattyBGT
Date: December 31, 2013 12:19PM

Hi There,

I've been lurking for a while, but joined recently as I have taken the plunge and bought a Range Rover 4.0 to install into my 71 CB GT.

Living in the Northwest UK on the coast rust is a continual problem and although my car's floor and arches are extremely solid (Flexi-liners up front, loads of wax oil at the back and under the floor, I do get hacked off with the wing top seam rot.
I sorted it a couple of years ago when I painted the car, but it is back.

It seems to me putting GRP wings on all round is the answer for the long term

I have a work shop which deals mostly in TVRs so the GRP side is no issue, my thoughts are more to do with what should be done to replace the structural rigidity given by the rear wings. have a roll cage but would like to keep the inside of the car usable so would prefer no diagonals.

Looking a lot of Sebring conversions not a great deal seems to get done it this area other than fix in new GRP units.

Is this enough, do the panels crack out, does the rear end go floppy?

Any thoughts, experiences solutions etc or previous posts on the subject would be great.

Cheers,
David

Photo of the old boy enjoying himself at a show this summer.
MGCGT sm.jpg

RattyBGT
David Martin
Lancashire, UK
(3 posts)

10/05/2013 11:35AM

Main British Car:
1971 MG BGT MG B Series 1800 Range Rover EFI 4.0 to go in...

authors avatar
Re: Fitting GRP Rear wing advice, previous post pointers...
Posted by: RattyBGT
Date: December 31, 2013 01:17PM

Just seen Dave Cradock's Sebring conversion (which looks awesome, I can't wait to see the classic valance version) and he seems to have just thickened the lay-up in the rear wings which is simple enough. On the roadster he has built bulkheads into the rear 1/4s, no pics on the GT. This worked wonders for the TVR Tuscan, maybe that will do the trick. I will have to work out a way to regain access to the hamster cheeks though... that space is useful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.