debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

12/29/2009 03:51PM

Main British Car:

Front Suspension w/ 302
Posted by: debrujr
Date: January 13, 2010 10:24PM

I have stripped down my 72 CB to basically a rolling shell and getting ready to start fitting the 302. I had looked at the suspension and it is in definite need of attention since the car spent a number of years sitting in a field. All of the parts are there and covered in surface rust. I'm sure that I can rebuild the front end with new parts but I was wondering if there is a benefit to change over to a tube style or some other while I am at it. I guess I want to account for any mods that I will want to do while i am at it instead of rebuilding the suspension and then soon wanting to convert. I was under the impression that there was a front end conversion that came with a cross member that was pre-notched for a V-8. Time/Money is a factor so if it is cheaper to go back stock and there is no benefit of the conversion then I will proceed as planned but if there is a benefit and the price is comparable then I shall change my plan. Ideas, thoughts, suggestions???

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Front Suspension w/ 302
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 13, 2010 11:22PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that there was a front end conversion that came with a cross member that was pre-notched for a V-8.

We have a lot of articles... this is just one of them:
MGB Front Suspension Upgrade (with Ford motor mounts pre-installed)

Use the "google" search box at the top of the page to find many more articles related to this and other alternative MGB front suspensions.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 14, 2010 08:48AM

James, at one time Pete Mantell was considering such a crossmember to be sold either as a direct replacement or on an exchange basis. I don't know where he is on that project, I'd suggest you give him a call at Mantell Motorsports. [www.britishv8.org]

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 14, 2010 09:04PM

Thanks guys for your input. Curtis, that setup looks amazing! This car is just starting its restomod so there are a lot of parts to buy and truthfully that one piece would blow my current budget for parts. It may be a future upgrade but I want to get it on the road soon so it will have to wait. I may run into some extra tax money and pick one up but this thing will probably burn up stop light to stop light since I live in town and rarely get to run around in the beautiful countryside here in Arkansas. Thanks again guys!

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 15, 2010 10:46AM

James, take some time to look at the "How It Was Done" articles. Some of the Ford swaps have photos of the build and the crossmember mods to a stock crossmember. They're not too difficult to do.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 15, 2010 10:55AM

I still have the cross member I modified for a 302, if it'd be of any use to someone I'd be happy to send for cost of shipping. Kicker is it was modified for CCE's (Bill Guzman's) coil over conversion so it'd only be useful to someone using his kit & you'd have to verify that the current kit uses the same mods to it.

debrujr
J D

(29 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 17, 2010 10:15AM

Rob,

I may take you up on that. I haven't determined the final product for this car yet so it is still an option. I will shoot you an IM. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.