clarksville VA
(4 posts)

01/14/2010 09:33PM

Main British Car:
2 Spits, 2 MGBs, 2 MGB GTs, and a TR7 several

Moving the steering shaft
Posted by: maganoo82
Date: January 14, 2010 10:28PM

I have a 68 and a 69 MGB GT and one of them is going to get a Toyota 1JZ/2JZ turbo inline 6. I know there is better engine swaps out there to do to one but I wanna be different :-). My question is, just out of curiosity, does anybody have any ideas on moving the steering shaft to make clearance for the intake/intercooler piping/engine acc? My thought was to make like a 2 peice shaft using a Howe steering speeder/reducer in the middle to route the shaft closer to the drivers front fenderwell. Not only would I make room for everything but with the Howe speeder/reducer I can speed up the steering by 2:1. At least all that theroy works in my head anyway. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Moving the steering shaft
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 15, 2010 10:43AM

You won't need the gear box to speed up the steering, a B rack is plenty quick enough already. What type of shaft arrangement you use really depends on where you need to route it to clear the engine. You may be able to simply lower the end at the firewall and rotate the rack downwards as Jim did on the project Roadmaster [forum.britishv8.org] to run the shaft below the problem area. If it does require an intermediate shaft then check out all the steering components from some place like Flaming River [www.flamingriver.com] or Borgeson [www.borgeson.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.