(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
K&N 14" extreme top air cleaner
Posted by: mindseye
Date: January 18, 2010 11:25AM

Does anyone know anything about this air cleaner as seen on Ken Biermann's B in the photo section....it seems to fit well on the 215 rover with edelbrock intake/carb....on internet isearch it is supposed to be 3" can't see how he made it fit?

Mr. T
Tony Andrews
Kent Island, Maryland
(153 posts)

10/23/2007 03:59PM

Main British Car:
'75 mgb, '74 grille, morspeed bumpers Rover 3.9

authors avatar
Re: K&N 14" extreme top air cleaner
Posted by: Mr. T
Date: January 18, 2010 09:08PM

John - the top filter is raised not flat. With a buick intake it kissed the padding under my hood - wouldn't have, had it been flat. The edelbrock intake is approx. 1/2" taller. If you try it (order from local parts ilo of internet - easier to return it) and it's a smidgen to tall, I believe there's another company (can't remember the name) that makes a similar one with flat top filter. Looks cool with the hood up - probably negligible flow with hood down - read about tuning issues due to disturbance of air induction from sides and top - don't know if there's any credence to this (maybe someone else who has experience with using it can chime in).

mindseye
John Csuhany
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
(76 posts)

11/18/2009 11:40AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB 1962 Buick 215 cu. in.

authors avatar
Posted by: mindseye
Date: January 18, 2010 10:53PM

Yah...I have thought of that, proper flow need s to be had for full performance...I have found some morel ow rise filters at Jegs and some other manufacturers....just going to have to do the old clay ball trick and find out my clearance....if can't find a stock one i will cut one down or put a scoop on

pcmenten
Paul Menten

(242 posts)

10/08/2009 10:40AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: pcmenten
Date: January 19, 2010 02:37AM

I wouldn't put a K&N air filter on my lawnmower. I certainly wouldn't put it on an engine that I cared about.

And, I'm sure you've heard about the issue with under hood airflow in MGB's with V8's. So, you have to figure that when an MG is at speed there's higher pressure under the hood. That would foul the tuning of the carburetor, for starters.

Best setup would have to be an air cleaner with a snorkel, with a hose that attached to an opening into the front of the fender, like the 86-95 Mustangs have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.