Sydney Australia
(24 posts)

01/20/2009 07:40AM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB GT Rover 3.5

PCV
Posted by: mgbazza
Date: August 27, 2014 10:00AM

I've just been ploughing through the article British PVC in the engine section & I've realised that I don't have a PCV valve in my set up. Do I need one ? The PVC port on the Edelbrock Carby is connected to the RH rocker/valve cover with a 3/8" ID pipe via a flame trap. The LH rocker/valve cover has a small inlet filter. I must confess, the posts on the British PVC article were way over my head, that's why I'm asking this question.. Barrie E

RMO 699F
Mike Maloney
SW Ohio
(531 posts)

12/09/2007 12:28PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB Sebring GT, 3.9 Rover V8

authors avatar
Re: PCV
Posted by: RMO 699F
Date: August 27, 2014 10:57AM

Positive Crankcase Ventilation...PCV

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1365 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: August 27, 2014 03:09PM

Barry,

If you are using that port on the carb then yes you need to have a PCV valve.

Cheers
Fred

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 27, 2014 04:09PM

I wish it were just that simple, but if you only add a PCV valve to what you have now you may start blowing oil out the seals. This is because the PCV valve closes down to the metered flow under high vacuum, but can do the same thing under pressure from the crankcase, so at some point blowby can cause it to close down.

What you have now works because it is unrestricted flow to a vacuum, but I imagine your idle is higher than you would like. True? This would be from air being pulled into the engine past the seals.

To use your PCV port at the base of the carb, use a PCV valve to one rocker cover and a 5/8" vent line to the bottom of the air cleaner inside the filter element. That is the most common arrangement.

Jim

hirot
Ian Hart
Ashbourne UK
(88 posts)

06/01/2011 05:15AM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB GT (conversion) Rover 3947 R380 gearbox

authors avatar
Posted by: hirot
Date: August 28, 2014 10:38AM

Barrie, you have the same set up as mine is now. I originally had the pipe from the LH crankcase piped straight into the base of the air filter, but I changed it to use the PCV valve in the Edelbrock earlier this year and it seems to work perfectly and I have had no problems. The The small mushroomm on the RH crankcase is just a small breather hole.

The PCV in the Edelbrock just sucks out unwanted gases from the crankcase which get produced when the engine is running. You have to have some method of removing the gases else they start to blow out from all over the place which at best smells and worst starts to blow oil out because of the pressure build up.

mgbazza
Barrie Egerton
Sydney Australia
(24 posts)

01/20/2009 07:40AM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB GT Rover 3.5

Posted by: mgbazza
Date: August 30, 2014 11:47PM

pvc (2).jpg

Thanks to everyone who answered my post. I've fitted a PCV valve & now it all seems to work correctly. I can now control the idle speed (it was a bit high). & my cold start problem has gone. The RH valve cover feeds the PCV port on the carb. via a flame trap & a PCV valve. The LH valve cover is connected to a catch can with an air filter which is also connected to the front timing cover. The catch can was installed a while back to aid the previous engine which had a lots of blow back. I decided to use it's air filter rather than use the one on the carb. Any further comments or criticisms will be warmly welcomed. Barrie E

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4513 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: August 31, 2014 10:51AM

Quote:
You have to have some method of removing the gases else they start to blow out from all over the place which at best smells and worst starts to blow oil out because of the pressure build up.

Boy, can I relate to that!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: August 31, 2014 08:33PM

That should work just fine Barrie. The only thing running the hose to the air cleaner adds is that the engine ingests any blowby, which often contains oil vapor or droplets, some of which may be able to make it past your vent filter and condense nearby. But then again, maybe it won't.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.