cookie27
Reis Brownfield

(1 posts)

01/25/2010 06:26PM

Main British Car:

75 mg engine swap
Posted by: cookie27
Date: January 26, 2010 08:29PM

I have a 75 mg convertible with a locked up 4 cylinder engine,I was wondering if any one can tell me if there is a domestic engine/trans combo that would fit in this car without alot of fabrication. Maybe older chevette or S10 4 cyl drivetrain? Would like to use existing rear end if possible. Thanks

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: 75 mg engine swap
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 27, 2010 09:28AM

Reis, welcome. Please take a look through the newsletter photo files and you'll find a lot of options as to drive trains. For your requirements as you listed the most likely candidate would be the GM 60 degree V6 engine with matching 5 speed transmission. There are mount and header kits available, you can retain the original radiator if you wish and there are also kits to interface the fuel injection and engine electronics of the later motors if you wish. I personally wouldn't go to the trouble of working with the 2.5 liter 4. It's not a bad engine, but the V6 is already a proven swap with lots of support available and great all around performance and still compatable with the existing rear axle. There are three main suppliers of parts and information for this engine swap, Classic Conversion Engineering [www.classicconversionseng.com] , BMC British Automobile [bmcautos.com] and British Car Conversions [www.britishcarconversions.com]. The latter specializes in convesions using the Front Wheel Drive version of the GM V6 which does require some specialized parts to use in a Rear Wheel Drive configuration. My personal recommendation would be to use a RWD engine from a S10 or Camaro/Firebird. Those are a bit easier to install.
Give Bill Guzman or Brian McCollough a call, they can tell you the details of the conversion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.