(13 posts)

01/29/2010 09:41AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB v8 (1979 shell) 3500cc

SD1 lt77 conversion...simple question but I'm new so go easy on me
Posted by: Bobbydm
Date: January 29, 2010 09:49AM

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and have taken my time to read lots of posts. However, I have a question that I am sure will be answered very quickly by the experts.

I am in the process of my first v8 conversion into a rubber bumper MGB bodyshell. I am using an SD1 3.5l v8 and LT77 gearbox from the same donor. The speedo drive is the later electric one, I know I need to get the speedo adaptors for this. Also, I have the new propshaft, clutch slave hose adaptor and the modified crossmember, but my question is....what else do I need for it.....???

Do I need to change the clutch arm, pivot or anything like this? I only ask as I have seen the parts listed on parts websites and I wonder if I need any of them?

Sorry if this is too easy, but I was told there is no such thing as a stupid question....

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: SD1 lt77 conversion...simple question but I'm new so go easy on me
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 29, 2010 12:25PM

Rob, for a pretty good step by step including most of the information you need on the SD1 drive train installation I'd suggest you take a look at this site [www.mgcars.org.uk] Really written with the British builder in mind I think.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 29, 2010 02:38PM

Welcome to the forum Rob!

If you enjoy that Roger Parker "how-to" article... you might also enjoy these:
Roger Parker writes a detailed "How It Was Done"
Roger Parker writes about Rover EFI

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

11/18/2007 10:38AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB GT Rover V8 4.35L

Posted by: castlesid
Date: January 29, 2010 07:37PM

Rob,

The conversion into the late rubber bumper car is very straightforward, if you need parts or advice give Dave Vale at V8 Conversions at Farnborough Kent a ring on 01689 858716 he has the crossmember conversion mounts and probably the mechanical speedo drive bits, you should be fine with SD1 clutch release arm.

When you fit the clutch hose do make sure you protect it with heat insulation wrap, my first one melted.

Have you done the mod to the tunnel roof to provide clearance for the LT77 and what do you have in mind for the rear axle as with the 3.9 ratio 1st gear on the LT77 is all but useless, you do need a 3.07 CW&P to give decent gearing.

Are you modding the suspension, I can really recommend the Moss reverse spring eye rear springs they lower the car 2" and really transform the ride, handling and grip. A set of lowered 500lb front lowered springs and 7/8" front roll bar will complete the package apart from dampers but use decent lever arms or GAZ if you want teles on the rear but avoid Spax as they are too hard.

Important to remove the rear anti roll bar and cut at least an inch off the rear bump stop rubbers or you will get dangerous sudden oversteer especially in the wet.

Good luck,

Kevin.
P4010001.JPG

Before I fitted the reverse spring eye springs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2010 07:47PM by castlesid.

Simon Austin
Simon Austin
Surrey, British Columbia
(107 posts)

10/23/2007 01:44AM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB V8 / 1970 MGB GT V8 project Rover 3.5 / Rover 3.5

Posted by: Simon Austin
Date: January 30, 2010 12:52AM

Welcome to the site, Rob. I've got the exact same set-up in my car. I used the standard SD1 clutch and hardware in my car with no issues. My parts came from Clive Wheatley via a supplier in Canada.

Get yourself a copy of the book "How to give your MGB V8 power" 3rd edition. This is like a bible for conversions. I used the 1st edition to do my car. Amongst other info, it'll give you the dimensions to build the gearbox tunnel extension for the LT77.

Speedo cables to fit the SD1 'box to the MGB speedo, clutch hoses; this stuff is all available. The "reverse-loop" springs are shown in these photos of my car from this site: [www.britishv8.org]

You can also decide which route you want to go with headers; block-hugger or RV8-style. I went with the RV8 ones as I wanted them away from the engine.

Lots of options, lots of info out there and never be afraid to ask questions. We're here to help.

Cheers
Simon

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: January 30, 2010 08:42AM

"Get yourself a copy of the book "How to give your MGB V8 power" 3rd edition. "

I believe Roger Williams has revised it again with the 4th edition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.