Anonymous User

( posts)

12/31/1969 07:00PM

Main British Car:

MGB Shifter Placement combinations
Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: December 23, 2015 11:58AM

Hi All,

I'm planning a stock-appearance Rover v8 conversion, but I can't find a clear summary of which motor mount/bellhousing/t5/tailhousing combos will place the new shifter at (or very close to) the stock location in a mk3 chrome bumper MGB. My goal is to use the original plastic center console and leather shifter gaiter, without modifications. I'm willing to tweak the shifter itself an inch or so, as much as the stock shifter hole allows. Reading through the many threads and reviewing the "how it was done" pages here, I have some ideas of what works, but I want to be sure before I start filling my garage with parts that won't work.

The Camaro T5 tailhousings are longer than those on the ford T5s, but ford T5s require adapter plates to mount to any Rover bellhousing, which moves the shifter backward somewhat. Also, some Ford T5s require thicker adapter plates than others. Also, the motor mounts allow some movement forward and rearward (I think). Also, I don't know if the Buick bellhousing has the same depth as D&D or transdapt bellhousings. I've read that the ford T5 allows re-use of the stock MGB crossmember, while the Camaro T5 requires additional metalwork to account for the 17 degree offset. Given the variables in each, I'm not sure how to proceed. I have lots of time to collect the ideal pieces, but I need to know what those are.

In summary, assuming I use the OE-style MGB V8 engine mounts and a Rover V8 in the OE location, which bellhousing/adapter/t5 combos will put the new shifter in the stock location?

Many thanks!

Dave

40indianss
don foote

(83 posts)

08/01/2013 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Re: MGB Shifter Placement combinations
Posted by: 40indianss
Date: December 23, 2015 03:45PM

i am using the ford t5 with d&d bellhousing & adapter plate with 4.6 rover in a 77 mgb with homemade mtr mts similar in style to glen towery's. the t5 tailshaft mt locates in the stock mgb xmbr after removing the stock bracket and using a ford style xmission mt. this located the shifter lever almost in the exact same location as the stock mgb shifter. you have a few mods with a cb car to fit the engine but i think your shifter location would be the same as mine

Anonymous User

( posts)

12/31/1969 07:00PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: December 26, 2015 11:22AM

Perfect info-- thanks! That helps me understand the relationships involved.

To describe your combo another way, so I'm sure I understand it: using a Ford T5 with the tailhousing mounted in the simplest way to the stock MG transmission crossmember, the shifter location is nearly stock, but the motor mounts likely need to be custom. If I want to have a stock-location shifter, the Ford T5 allows that and may not require custom fabrication of the transmission mount or the shift lever. Does that sound right?

I have Roger Williams' 4th Edition "How to give your MGB V8 power" book, and I've seen a range of webpages comparing the many T5s in the world, but none of them list the tailhousing dimensions for the various T5s out there.

40indianss
don foote

(83 posts)

08/01/2013 04:35PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: 40indianss
Date: December 26, 2015 01:49PM

exactly. when the angled ears are removed the stock style ford t5 rubber mount will locate in the center. (north south.and east west). of the crossmember drill a couple of holes for the mounting bolts. i will look under the car as i may have needed to install a flat reinforcing piece in the crossmember. if you work backwards to locate the engine transmission combo beginning i think the engine will locate in a very close to optimal position in the engine bay. my right head is about 3/4inch forward of the firewall as mine is a 77. your earlier mg may need a few more adjustments for optimal fitment. i have about 5/8 inch hood clearance using buick 215 intake and drop base air cleaner with edelbrock carb. the clearance between frt xmbr and oil pan on my car is about an inch. i cut off the mg mtr mts and built similar to glenn towery mts with speedway rubber donuts. by doing that way the height of motor is adjustable with thickness of rubber donut. hope this helps

MGB567
Barrie Braxton

(38 posts)

04/26/2015 12:13AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: MGB567
Date: January 19, 2016 04:55AM

FWIW I wrote about something similar on MGE swaps forum - can't link it here so you'll have to go visit IYI.. Mine's a 5 litre Rover using the stock (round) V8 mounts into the stock holes on the frame and I've written about mods to the xmember. My shifter certainly exits the stock hole in the '79 tunnel but IDK exactly how close it is to stock position but it's got to be close

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.