Ian Darcy

(15 posts)

05/08/2013 03:24AM

Main British Car:

AP/BORG&BECK, PRESSURE PLATE COLOUR CODING
Posted by: ID
Date: June 09, 2016 09:58AM

Help required.

I've just pulled the motor and g/box out of my factory V8 and found that the Borg & Beck clutch pressure plate has RED/MAROON markings on two of the diaphragm fingers.

I intend to replace it with a AP clutch kit KT8899 however the replacement pressure plate has GREEN markings on two of the diaphragm fingers.

Can anybody tell me what the differences are if any..

Ian

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: AP/BORG&BECK, PRESSURE PLATE COLOUR CODING
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 09, 2016 12:24PM

The color codes are usually to distinguish between the different clamping pressures. They are likely not the same across the different manufacturers. Besides, I believe you are comparing two different clutch styles. The AP is a diaphram clutch, is it not? TSI sells the KT8899 for the TR8, so you should be fine.

ID
Ian Darcy

(15 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 10, 2016 12:32AM

Thanks Carl,

Perhaps I should have mentioned it previously that Borg and Beck apparently sold out to AP Clutches some time ago, however they have continued making Borg and Beck clutches but under the name of AP.

I've contacted the AP distributor here, and was informed that the different colours indicated different clamping pressures of their products, but could not tell me the difference between the MAROON and GREEN, other than to say that AP's GREEN colour indicated that it was rated as a road/completion clutch kit

If AP's GREEN clutch has the same or better clamping pressure as my old MAROON coloured clutch, fine. However, if not, I may have to consider just replacing the clutch plate.

Yes, the pressure plate/cover plate is a diaphragm type.

Any help as to whether the MAROON plate has superior clamping pressure over the GREEN plate would be appreciated.

Ian

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 10, 2016 11:17AM

You new one (green marks) will likely be the stronger of the two. May be more than you need, though. How much difference in pedal pressure? You will have to try it to compare.
Quote:
When you buy an AP Racing clutch it actually says Borg&Beck on the clutch .I can`t seem to work that one out. If you want it to last forever buy this 340lb Torque AP clutch.
Yes there is one for 270ftLB and mine is 340Ft lb ..You don`t need to pay a premium from a TVR supplier. Mine does not feel any stiffer than the standard 4l clutch . You may be upgrading a few things so this one will cope with the extra power.

The 340ft lb clutch will have green paint on both the clutch plate and cover.

[www.pistonheads.com]

ID
Ian Darcy

(15 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 12, 2016 04:03AM

Hi Carl

Thanks for the info. Further inquiries have revealed that AP clutch kit part number KT8899 (kit for TR8's) is not compatible with my factory MGB GT V8. It appears that the thrust race is different and is twice the price of a TR8. I contacted Rimmer Bros however they were unable to shed any light on what the colour markings represented. I will rely on your info. regarding the superiority of the green paint and endeavour to source a compatible kit.

Again thanks for the help.

Regards Ian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.