(31 posts)

10/23/2007 09:14AM

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Font Size
Posted by: wspohn
Date: October 23, 2007 09:31AM

Hi Curtis. Good luck with the forums.

One comment - while the headers are normal size, the text of the posts is in a tiny font that is hard to read - is that something you can adjust?

Bill

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Font Size
Posted by: Moderator
Date: October 23, 2007 12:35PM

Hi Bill,

I just put down my dial caliper... and I've verified that - on my screen anyway - text in the posts appears exactly the same width as what Skye uses on the "MG Experience" board except that I'm using the "Arial" font. (I think he's using "Verdana" or something... the characters are a little less rounded.)

How does text on The MG Experience look to you? Should I display text bigger than Skye does?

I need to go up to the library this morning and see if text appears smaller on their monitors than it does here at home. It could be that I have a bug in my program and not everyone is seeing the same text size.

In the meantime, in your browser toolbar there should be a text size "zoom" option... and it'll let you enlarge or shrink the text.

I hope that helps for now.

THANKS FOR GIVING ME CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK! Very helpful!

-Curtis

wspohn
bill spohn

(31 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 23, 2007 12:51PM

Curtis, the header is a nice size - shows as 13 pitch when copied into Word, but the body is 11 pitch and a bit small for easy reading - yopu may be able to adjust that in the software.

Oddly, when composing a message, it shows in large font.

kayakjack
John Renaud
Michigan
(35 posts)

10/23/2007 01:46PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB V8 Buick/Rover 3.5L

authors avatar
Posted by: kayakjack
Date: October 27, 2007 04:44PM

Hi, Curtis, What a great web site! I do agree
that the font could be 25 - 35 % larger. It would
make easier reading for some of us who are a
little long in the tooth.
Regards, Jack

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4512 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: October 27, 2007 04:57PM

If you guys would use Mozzilla Firefox, there are some great zoom plugins, plus I just hold down my ctrl key & use the mouse scroll wheel to adjust text size.

GTsRFine
David Maples
Georgia
(8 posts)

10/23/2007 01:43PM

Main British Car:
74 MGBGT stock

Posted by: GTsRFine
Date: October 27, 2007 05:41PM

To add to what Carl mentioned:
Command+ or Command- in Safari adjusts the font viewing size

Jacmo
Jack Morris
Chattanooga, TN
(9 posts)

10/28/2007 08:46AM

Main British Car:
80 MGB Chevy 355 ci (Donovan Aluminum)

Posted by: Jacmo
Date: October 28, 2007 09:18AM

Text size seems fine to me. In fact, my first impression was that it was a nice, larger than normal size. (I'm 63 and use drugstore reading glasses). The font size in the reply section of a post is smaller than what appears in the already posted message, on my end.

wspohn
bill spohn

(31 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2007 10:43AM

Guys, I'm sure that getting new browser software or learning special commands might in some cases do the job, but when all the other boards out there are more user friendly and present the information in an easy to read way that doesn't require any effort on the part of the reader, the fact that this one does not will inevitably be reflectedd in less use, and that's not what a board creator wants.

I think it is incumbent on the owner to make the board settings suit most viewers, not vice versa.

Edd Weninger
Edd Weninger
Mogollon Airpark Overgaard AZ
(22 posts)

10/28/2007 12:49PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Rover 3.5 L EFI

authors avatar
Posted by: Edd Weninger
Date: October 28, 2007 12:54PM

Bill,

The current body text looks large enough on my terminal, in fact larger than the other boards.

I can read it easily without my geezer glasses.

wspohn
bill spohn

(31 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2007 01:10PM

Edd Weninger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill,
>
> The current body text looks large enough on my
> terminal, in fact larger than the other boards.
>
> I can read it easily without my geezer glasses.

Not on mine - far smaller than other boards, which use a font the size of the Re:X at the top of each post on this one. This is the same in Explorer or AOL for me.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2007 02:27PM

Well... I bumped the text size up LAST NIGHT, so it should be significantly better than it was before...

I started by installing the same basic software package that's used by "The MG Experience", and I set the font size for the main message section to be the same as Skye had his set for. I set the font to Arial because I think it's easier to read and more attractive than Verdana. I was surprised to hear that messages looked smaller here than on that message board.

Just for reference: on my monitor right now the phrase
"The current body text looks large enough on my"
measures 103mm wide, whereas when I paste the phrase into "The MG Experience" it appears 93mm wide.

I have both a Mac and a PC, and I usually test on two different monitors and on several different browsers (Firefox, Safari, Netscape 7, etc.)... but not the latest version of Internet Explorer (because I dislike it, and because it won't run on my PC unless I update my operating system...) Anyway, the software we're using ("Phorum") has a goofy way of defining how text appears from one place to the next. It's going to take me awhile to get that redesigned and streamlined, and once I get it the way I want it it'll be a little harder to migrate to future editions of the Phorum software. I guess that's just the way things go we're you're a hot-rodder!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2007 02:49PM

p.s. copying text into Word to see what size it is doesn't seem to work for me. (Should it?) When I copy text from here into Word it converts to whatever the default is in Word... Times New Roman, size 12.

wspohn
bill spohn

(31 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2007 03:47PM

Yeah, copying doesn't seem to retain font size.

In your previous post the words 'LAST NIGHT' show up in the same size as all the posts on the MGB forum do for me.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 28, 2007 07:14PM

Okay, I'm now at my mother-in-law's house and I'm using her PC which has Internet Explorer 6.0... now I can see what you've been seeing.

In the toolbar at the top of the screen there's a pull-down menu labeled "View"... and the seventh option down in that menu is "Text Size"... and if you select it, it'll give you the options "Largest", "Larger", "Medium", "Smaller", and "Smallest". At least on THIS computer, if you set the text size to "medium" then the message text will appear quite large. However, when I first sat down at the machine I found that my mother-in-law had previously set text size on "smaller", which is indeed quite small.

Now... just for grins I pulled up the MG Experience forum. Skye has all his fonts defined in "pixels" instead of in "ems", so as a result he has defeated the Text Size option/function. It doesn't matter whether I select "Largest", "Smallest", or in-between; messages always appear a constant size that falls in-between the proper/correct/industry-standard/square-with-the-world "Smaller" and "Medium" size (as seen on this forum).

---

p.s. (back home now...) as of Monday morning, I've made some tweaks that should improve how the forum behaves for IE users, and I've got a couple more tricks up my sleeve yet. Please let me hear if there are further concerns. -Curtis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2007 02:52PM by Moderator.

kayakjack
John Renaud
Michigan
(35 posts)

10/23/2007 01:46PM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB V8 Buick/Rover 3.5L

authors avatar
Posted by: kayakjack
Date: October 29, 2007 09:42PM

Hey, Carl, I use Firefox and using the ctrl key & the mouse scroll wheel to adjust text size
works great. I'll be using that in a lot websites. Thanks.
Regards, Jack

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.