Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

MGC Torsion Bar Set Up Comments ?!?!?!?!
Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: March 16, 2010 04:48PM

Does anyone have some experience dealing with the unique MGC torsion bar set up? When I used to align Mopars in the 70's, I really liked their torsion bar set up; a quick adjustment would put that ride height right back within specs. I'm very curious to hear from MGC owners as to what their experience and comments would be.

I think that it would be neat to see someone built a replica/custom torsion bar set up on a "B". Summit sells the key kit.

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Re: MGC Torsion Bar Set Up Comments ?!?!?!?!
Posted by: crashbash
Date: March 16, 2010 05:57PM

Jacques
I own a 68 mgc rdst and have owned 3 others in the past. Yes the torsion bar is very ajustable, just off the top of my head you could easily change fender over tire height by 2 or 3 inches. Did you know that the mgc engine weighs like 700 lbs! You could put a big block in a C and it would weigh less.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2465 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: March 16, 2010 07:00PM

Way back when, before the Mustang II front end became popular, the Dodge Aspen,Plymouth Volare torsion bar front end was getting popular with larger street rods and 56 Ford pickups. I wonder if it could be narrowed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 11:08AM by mgb260.

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

11/18/2007 10:38AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB GT Rover V8 4.35L

Posted by: castlesid
Date: March 16, 2010 08:35PM

Jacques,

Presumably you are aware that not only is the C front suspension unique to the C but also the whole front of the shell is also different apart from the front wings/fenders.

Would be very difficult to incorporate the C suspension into the B.

Kevin.

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: March 16, 2010 09:08PM

re: Would be very difficult to incorporate the C suspension into the B.

x2! The floor pans would also need to be changed.

MGB-FV8
Jacques Mathieu
Alexandria, VA
(299 posts)

09/11/2009 08:55PM

Main British Car:
1977 MGB Small Block Ford, 331 Stroker

Posted by: MGB-FV8
Date: March 16, 2010 09:37PM

Kevin, yes I'm aware of it. What I was referring to was designing your own torsion system with modification or fabrication of the lower control arms and installing a rear crossmember with the torsion bar keys and tensioners attached. If I had my choice between the regular "B" and "C" set up for a V-8 conversion, I for sure would go with the "C". They're too rare and expensive although.

Jim as you're probably aware, the Volare and Aspen had the torsion bars mounted across the front like a sway bar, I didn't care much for that set up, however, it became an easy transplant for the street rodders as not too many aftermarket IFS existed at the time. Maybe it's only me, but, there's something mechanically attractive with the torsion set up. BTW, there are a lot of cars and trucks that still uses the system. The coil over suspension is more desirable to most but the torsion bar system is just as effective and adjustable IMHO.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 17, 2010 12:12AM

Torsion bars worked great on my first car - a Valiant with 318 V8 - so I understand the attraction.

Easily adjustable for ride height, but I think a huge advantage of coilovers is that it's relatively cheap and easy to change springs to get a different wheel rate. Lots of different coil spring suppliers out there!

Once you have mounts for a coilover shock, you can usually choose between many grades and types of damper. (Adjustable valves, gas, etc.)

As for MGC... it obviously should have come with a small block Ford V8 from day one. The engine fits just about perfectly. The window of opportunity existed because the Sunbeam Tiger was going away, and Ford would surely have loved to sell engines to M.G. - they weren't really competitors. (That's my theory anyhow.) Installing a Ford V8 now just corrects one of history's great mistakes!

Bob in Vancouver
Bob Elwin

(5 posts)

11/11/2007 08:40PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Bob in Vancouver
Date: March 21, 2010 04:04PM

Jacques, The MGC front suspension is very easy to adjust for ride height to suit any change in weight (hopefully less!) that might accompany an engine change. I had to let my suspension down over an inch when fitting a Ford V8 with alloy heads. This was a weight saving of about 150 lbs. A T-5 is also about 50lbs less than a regular overdrive MG transmission from memory.
One of the reasons why MG opted for the change to torsion bars for the MGC was extra hood clearance as the crossmember does not need to be so massive as when it supports the spring mounts like the MGB. This meant a taller, longer engine would clear the crossmember without interference.
The underbody was re-enginered to provide stiffness for the rear torsion bar mounts which probably was a good thing in the roadster versions - especially if extra power was available.
Unfortunately, it appears the MGC engine was more a matter of convenience for BMC at the time rather than an elegant solution to the demise of the Austin Healey 3000. But 145 BHP from 650lbs generated a handicap that was hard to overcome. Still a nice touring car! Cheers, Bob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.